The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what tires...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

what tires...

Hey guys
    As a few of you may have heard I got into a tiny bender tender last week because I have cheap tires that cause me to hydroplane.

I need new tires ASAP can you link me some good tires that grip well and release water really well please.
    I have the stock steelies

Edit* I'm thinking of possibly getting 16 or 17 inch rims so if you guys can find me a good tire and wheel combo link it please? Cause Idk what to look for and I don't want to spend too much
    Last edited by NewGalantKid; 05-05-2011 at 05:29 PM

Look for 3G wheels. I have some on my car, check my sig.

I have hankook ventus HRII on mine. Research on tire rack too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    here is where i get mine from

http://www.onlinetires.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Yea but Idk anything about tires lol...my friend has some sport performance tires that grip well and never skid in rain..unlike mine where I skid after a stop for a good 300 ft

Best bang for the buck, IMO:

General Exclaim UHP
    Nexen N5000

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    You need to decide if you'll be running an all-season tire or if you want dedicated summer and dedicated winter tires setups.

If you go with an all-season the rubber compound is going to be stiffer than an "ultra high performance" summer tire. Wet conditions will impact the performance of tires as will the air temperature. For example, you could run a really expensive summer tire in the winter, there be no snow on the ground but the could temperatures compromise grip since the rubber compound was not intended for such cold.

Also, what kind of life are you looking for in the tire. Do you want something that will just hold you over by performing really well for 15,000 miles or are you looking for an above-average performer with a treadlife of 30,000 miles or more?

You can't just go off your friends "sport performance tires". Proper inflation, a properly installed tire, the correct tire size, alignment and many other factors will impact braking performance. Is your ABS functioning properly? If you lock up the wheels in wet weather sliding is almost a guarantee.

Long story short, figure out what you want and what will suit your needs. The suggestion to upgrade to 3G Eclipse wheels is a good route in terms of price and fitment. I ran a 3G wheel with 225/45/17 all-season tires and was pretty content.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    You need to decide if you'll be running an all-season tire or if you want dedicated summer and dedicated winter tires setups.

If you go with an all-season the rubber compound is going to be stiffer than an "ultra high performance" summer tire. Wet conditions will impact the performance of tires as will the air temperature. For example, you could run a really expensive summer tire in the winter, there be no snow on the ground but the could temperatures compromise grip since the rubber compound was not intended for such cold.

Also, what kind of life are you looking for in the tire. Do you want something that will just hold you over by performing really well for 15,000 miles or are you looking for an above-average performer with a treadlife of 30,000 miles or more?

You can't just go off your friends "sport performance tires". Proper inflation, a properly installed tire, the correct tire size, alignment and many other factors will impact braking performance. Is your ABS functioning properly? If you lock up the wheels in wet weather sliding is almost a guarantee.

Long story short, figure out what you want and what will suit your needs. The suggestion to upgrade to 3G Eclipse wheels is a good route in terms of price and fitment. I ran a 3G wheel with 225/45/17 all-season tires and was pretty content.
    +1 for you sir... thank you for adding this. i agree 100% with this...

and i forgot the whole summer/winter tire deal. here in the south, we don't encounter too much snow, so tires aren't that big of a deal. at least to me...
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    +1 for you sir... thank you for adding this. i agree 100% with this...

and i forgot the whole summer/winter tire deal. here in the south, we don't encounter too much snow, so tires aren't that big of a deal. at least to me...

yep when the lowest temps you get all year are in the 50s you dont worry to much about summer and winter tires

i also agree with the 3g eclipse wheel statement, im running them myself as well. i even think i have nexen n5000 tires just like Skyforger. and im running 215/50/17 i beleive

EDIT:
    I stand corrected, i USED to have nexen tires, they got switched 1k miles before the wreck, now i got hercules raptis wr1s, and its 215/45/17
    Last edited by bdevx; 05-06-2011 at 01:35 AM

i have nexens on my car. they are a real good deal, 50k radial the size is 2055016 and i payed 76 bucks a peice thru work for em. had em on for a few thousand miles and so far no noticable wear. i set my camber to -.8 in the front and-1.8 to -2.0 in the back so my fronts dont wear hardly at all the backs barely do
    "he can F?$! up an iron ball with a rubber hammer"

do 235 55R17 fit on our cars?

I have pilot exaltos from michelin and they're the best yet. i would not risk getting cheap tires. your life rides on them.
    1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi1991 View Post
    do 235 55R17 fit on our cars?
    No.