The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: This is ridiculous

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

This is ridiculous

Well I this Sunday I went and changed my front brake pads and my front passenger caliper that all went well but one thing stood in my way in the beginning... My wheels. My wheels would not come of the car like normal. It took 30 minutes of hammering/prying on each wheel to take them off. I've never had that happen before. It seems that the wheels were stuck the center hub of the disk. Usually as soon as I take off my lug nuts the wheels comes off like nothing not sure why or what would cause this. Anyone have any input on this?

Note: these my 16" steelies

when is the last time you took them off? Could have been rusted to the center hub... mine where always a PITA to remove after every winter

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

When I started losing my hubcaps I noticed this happening to me too, the exposure to the elements must've made them rust together, I have a 3lb mini sledge that I used, one whack to the inboard side of the tire, and there you go! But when the hubcaps were on, I never had that problem, rain sleet hail snow.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Last time I took them off was in December when I installed bridgestone potenza tires. When I took them off there was just a tad bit of rust but nothing huge like to make them stick like that. I was hammering it with a 8 lbs. hammer on the back of the wheel and it wouldn't budge even wasted a whole can of w-40. I almost feel like the metal expanded/shrunk.
    Last edited by Da_Prodigy; 06-06-2011 at 08:10 PM

Very common with imports with steelies, I've seen this more with Hondas and Hyundais though. A good way to keep this from happening so bad, coat a decent layer of anti-sieze around the hub bore, I do it to every car I work on at my shop that has difficulty with rust/corrosion seizing the wheel to the hub.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Very common with imports with steelies, I've seen this more with Hondas and Hyundais though. A good way to keep this from happening so bad, coat a decent layer of anti-sieze around the hub bore, I do it to every car I work on at my shop that has difficulty with rust/corrosion seizing the wheel to the hub.
    And ONLY put the anti-seize around the hub, nothing else.

You guys. Get a pry bar a wedge it between the balljoint and the wheel, and then pry out. It always comes off
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

^lol bunch of panzies?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    You guys. Get a pry bar a wedge it between the balljoint and the wheel, and then pry out. It always comes off
    Hehe, that doesn't work on Semi-trucks though...

Nah, best technique is to keep one lug on, and from behind the wheel, attack it with a BFH. Never done me wrong 90% of the time. The really stubborn wheels (usually the Hyundai Elantra 02-06 models) get hit with the Oxy-Acetylene torch. :D

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Yeah bro its going to happen...wheels get stuck on. All you need to do is put alil more power into your foot and give the wheel a nice stomp on the side and it should come right off.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft