The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you have this on top of your 3.0L engine?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    seeing as you said distributor and rotor, that leads me to believe you only replaced the distributor cap and rotor. Take a multimeter and check the coil for it's resistance. The correct values can be found in the FSM. The coil is built into the distributor assembly. If the resistance is out of range, you will need a new distributor.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

No I said " distributor and rotor" cuause that's what got replaced. The cap was fine. Just to clarify.

oh ok. I guess I've never heard of just the distributor assembly and rotor being replaced on their own.

So the 6g72 does not use fully electronic iginition?

Quote Originally Posted by stonent View Post
    So the 6g72 does not use fully electronic iginition?
    it uses a distributor assembly that mounts to the head. Inside the assembly is the coil and cam position sensor. It still uses a distributor cap and rotor, which as we know requires the use of spark plug wires as well.

And the final verdict after a week and a half of my own labor, a highly referred mechanic getting frustrated, and a Mitsubishi dealer with master mechanic... Timing off by at least five teeth. Only took $1000 in incorrect parts and labor to get that diagnosis. Now another $500 just to get in the block and look for damage. Took the Mitz guys 15 mins to diagnose, granted where else could you look with good fuel and spark?

Moran Mitsubishi Inc
    29310 Telegraph Road
    Southfield, MI 48034-1341
    (248) 353-0910
    Labor: $65 - $95

Best dealer service experience I have ever had!

davila825
    ouch at least its fixed

...Not fixed yet.

Will the timing belt being off a couple teeth make the car not start? Shouldn't it start but run bad. How likely is valve damage if the car didn't run while the belt was incorrect but was cranked on (tried starting)?

A few things to check. Pull plugs all out and make sure no one is in front of car and crank it. If any gas/water shoots out then either cyl's had to much compression as water does not compress or you pumped to much gas.

Second take the timing cover off and make sure the timing belt has not broke as 2.4ls seems to break them alot even though this is a 6. :)

3.5 Powered 8g
    In Progress.

Edit: Did not read the last post. yes a few teeth can mess up the engine and/or not allow it to start. Friend of mines galant did this. There was a bad relay or fuse keeping it from actually starting but allowed it to crank.

The cranking of a vehicle that has a timing belt broke or way off usually causes valve damage, but you wont know that till you actually start the car and see if you have any valve ticks that werent there.
    Last edited by Dotd0t; 06-08-2011 at 07:27 AM

3.5 Powered 8g
    In Progress.

Thanks man. I'm actually not working on the car. It's at Mits getting worked on by their master mechanic because it has been impossible to diagnose. Anyways, he had told me that the timing belt was off a few teeth but intact and that's why it would crank and but not start. I thought it would start but run a f'd up. The dealer is quite a ways from where I live to go ask the guy, but he is the best in the region allegedly so shoulda just took his word for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12