The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manybrews - Got an unknown OBD Code

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Manybrews - Got an unknown OBD Code

I got an SES light and had the code pulled. It came up as P0173, Fuel trim malfunction. This code isn't in the V6 manual. Any advise you can provide would be appreciated, as always. Thanks in advance.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Re: Manybrews - Got an unknown OBD Code

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    I got an SES light and had the code pulled. It came up as P0173, Fuel trim malfunction. This code isn't in the V6 manual. Any advise you can provide would be appreciated, as always. Thanks in advance.
    what year you got? its not in my 01 manual, either. and im not at work, so I cant look up anything newer right now.

cdaw2001ES
    Thats one of thoes codes, that you almost have to hook up a scanner to- and get the DTC to set while driving- and the scanner automatically takes a snapshot of the system. 173 is a standard odb2 code, generally set when fuel trim is out of a -/+ 30% window. On a stock car - one would assume - if no other codes are thrown, that the pcm is bad. But if you have mods, and/or a piggy back fuel computer, then - more n likley thats where your problem is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cdaw2001ES
    Thats one of thoes codes, that you almost have to hook up a scanner to- and get the DTC to set while driving- and the scanner automatically takes a snapshot of the system. 173 is a standard odb2 code, generally set when fuel trim is out of a -/+ 30% window. On a stock car - one would assume - if no other codes are thrown, that the pcm is bad. But if you have mods, and/or a piggy back fuel computer, then - more n likley thats where your problem is going to be.
    he obviously already has a scanner, hence the ODB2 code.
    p0173 is NOT a standard code, but rather a new code. its not specific to one bank, either.
    the fuel trim spec is actually 12.5 percent plus or minus, but if thats all it was youde have a 171, 172, 174 or 175 code.
    the 173 is apparently not specific enough. Ill check tomorrow if I remember, as I obviously have much better info at work.
    And its NOT going to be a PCM. that would be about the last thing in the world to actually fail.

cdaw2001ES
    Dude - I know you are the master - but 173 is a standard ODB 2 Code, It's not Mitsu specific. the 30% I got was from an ODB2 info site. Mistu could limit it to 12 - eitherway,
    Using the scanner WHILE driving, NOT just for pulling the code after the fact is what I read as recommended,

You would not necessarily get other DTC's If the ECM is infact reaching a fuel tim outside the window that effectivley maintains correct operation of the fuel system.

From what I know - This is stricktly a ecm type error, It's not dependent on any sensor - other than keeping tabs on it's own operation.

From ODBII.com

P0173 Fuel Trim Generic OBDII Code

Re: Manybrews - Got an unknown OBD Code

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    what year you got? its not in my 01 manual, either. and im not at work, so I cant look up anything newer right now.
    It's a 2000 Manybrews. Any help you could come up with would be great. I hate mystery codes. According to the scanner, the car actually posted the code twice. It set the SES light while I was driving on the highway with the A/C on. No other syptoms and the car didn't do anything strange, just threw a light. I pulled the code within 30 minutes of the occurance. Thanks again.

Chip
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

cdaw2001ES
    Are you using a piggy back, or just the RR-FPR?

Are you using a piggy back, or just the RR-FPR?
    Neither at the moment. My fuel system is back to stock until I reinstall the FPR.
    Chip

Dude - I know you are the master - but 173 is a standard ODB 2 Code, It's not Mitsu specific. the 30% I got was from an ODB2 info site. Mistu could limit it to 12 -
    yes, i realize that. however, according to the info I have, mitsu does NOT use that code.
    it is a generic OBD2 code, to be sure. but Im having issues with it as mitsu doesnt list it as a possible problem on the older info I have.
    Im sure its probably a horseshit typo on their part, as they have a lot of them. but in looking it up for any car mitsu made in my 2001 information, the code isnt there for ANY of them, which tells me mitsu didnt plan on using it for 2001. (which also probably means they didnt plan on using it for 2000, either).
    just because its a generic code doesnt mean mitsu HAS to use it.
    Of course, in typical fashion, i totally forgot to look whilst I was at work. And im on vacation for the next week, so I kinda screwed fishboy outta some info.

eitherway,
    Using the scanner WHILE driving, NOT just for pulling the code after the fact is what I read as recommended,
    pulling the freeze frame data is the most useful of all information, which you will only get when you get a DTC. if fishboy has already cleared it, hes kinda outta luck.

You would not necessarily get other DTC's If the ECM is infact reaching a fuel tim outside the window that effectivley maintains correct operation of the fuel system.
    if infact the fuel trim was outside the alotted window, you would definatly get a po171, 172, 174 or 175 code (depending on bank and conditions).
    however, since i still dont know what the 173 code is, Im not going to comment on that.

From what I know - This is stricktly a ecm type error, It's not dependent on any sensor - other than keeping tabs on it's own operation.

From ODBII.com

P0173 Fuel Trim Generic OBDII Code
    that may be possible. although to be perfectly honest, i REALLY doubt it.

D03GTZ
    Ok guys here's what good ol' AESIS says on this....

P0173
    Fuel trim, Bank 2
    Malfunction

- Perform road test (fuel in oil)
    - Check for leaks (unmetered air) in intake air system Page 24-89 .
    - Check hoses (intake manifold change-over valves and secondary air injection)
    - Check fuel system pressure Page 24-48
    - Check mass air flow sensor Page 24-79
    - Check heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) before catalytic converter Page 24-103
    - Check heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) behind catalytic converter Page 24-126
    - Check secure fit and leak-tightness of crankcase breather hose connections
    Check injectors Page 24-54
    - Checking exhaust system for leaks

Obviously it doesnt state whether its lean or rich, which in most cases this dtc would be followed by one that WOULD state that.

I hope this can help some of you out
    Dimitri

cdaw2001ES
    Good find,
    The reason I said - it might be an ecu issue, is that it didn't throw any of the other codes.

Sounds like from what Chip was saying, that once the code is cleared, it will throw it again.

If it's like any of those other codes, the decision to throw is based on being out of the window for 2 seconds, after the car is warmed up.
    Scanning while driving, and hopefully it throws while your doing that - would give you a better idea of where exactly to look.

I have acces to Mitchells cd's - I can take a look tomorrow.

Thanks guys. The car threw the code again yesterday in almost the exact same spot on the highway. This time I cleared it by disconnecting the battery. I know, that's bad because it resets the fuel trim window to basics and the ECU has to relearn. I also took my intake apart, looked for anything obvious in the MAF and wiring and made sure that I had tight seals on the entire intake from the filter to the TB. I'm going to check the breather hoses for any leaks or loose connections and give the other things a look as much as I can. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming if you find anything else.

Chip
    Chip

D03GTZ
    any updates on this???
    did it ever get fixed???

I think he's taking it to the shop this week

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>any updates on this???
    did it ever get fixed???</div>
    It was on all weekend and I left it and made an appointment with my mechanic this morning. Wouldn't you know on the way home this afternoon the god damned light went out!! Car is running like a dream and pulls like crazy again. Still going to the shop, cuz the code is stored. Manybrews would be proud of me for not resetting it this time
    Chip

Volume Airflow Sensor. Clean the MAF with a Q-tip and alcohol.
    Chip