The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Grinding noise when in neutral

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Grinding noise when in neutral

Hey, v6 5 spd, when im in neutral with clutch out i get a grinding noise..
    when i push the clutch in it goes away.

what did i do wrong?

I have the same problem, and I think its the TOB vibrating against the PP fingers, cause you don't have to push the clutch ALL the way in to get it to go away right? If so, thats the only thing I can come up with, and I think that we don't have the fork adjusted right. I think that the TOB should have slight pressure against the PP, but I'm not to sure about that

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i have been thru this the 3rd time now. Its not the TOB its the flywheel itself. Dont know why but the flywheel bolts seemed to have been my problem and if you look at the flywheel itself inspect the bolt holes. Somewhere along the line the flywheel is vibrating. I could be wrong but that was my problem and i believe Denver went thru it too

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

hmmm interesting... as long as my transmission isnt gunna blow up or anything. lol

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    ya but eventually the noise gets so loud it sounds like a spun bearing. You will get tired of this noise sooner or later

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Sounds like the input shaft bearing - very common on manual Mitsi boxes. When you're idling the shaft is turning. When you depress the clutch you're stopping the shaft turning as the drive from the engine to gearbox is "disconnected". It is an easy enough job to do but does require gearbox removal and partial stripdown. The bearing is located at the front end of the input shaft in the bell housing which does need separating from the box for access. A good time to check other bearings and seals while it's out too.

i had the same issue!! so i took it apart and found out that i blew the clutch disc teeth
    and scraped the the wall in the tranny

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

lmao!! didnt realize yall where talking about m/t
    STAY READY AND YOU WONT HAVE TO GET READY!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Vee View Post
    Sounds like the input shaft bearing - very common on manual Mitsi boxes. When you're idling the shaft is turning. When you depress the clutch you're stopping the shaft turning as the drive from the engine to gearbox is "disconnected". It is an easy enough job to do but does require gearbox removal and partial stripdown. The bearing is located at the front end of the input shaft in the bell housing which does need separating from the box for access. A good time to check other bearings and seals while it's out too.
    That makes sense.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

are you saying it needs to be replaced?
    cause thats wierd everything is brand new.