The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car cut out at 80mph on the expressway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Ok, so I replaced all 4 spark plugs with brand new ones and still nothing. As for the T belt, it dosnt seem to have any problems. No cracks, no knocks from the motor on turn over. Im thinking it maybe the fuel pump but im not sure what the likleyhood of this is. Any suggestions would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    Ok, so I replaced all 4 spark plugs with brand new ones and still nothing. As for the T belt, it dosnt seem to have any problems. No cracks, no knocks from the motor on turn over. Im thinking it maybe the fuel pump but im not sure what the likleyhood of this is. Any suggestions would really help.
    So it turns over just wont start?Did you do the spark test?

yea no spark

yea no spark
    It sounds like your distributor is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    It sounds like your distributor is shot.
    He's 4cyl, got coils.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    He's 4cyl, got coils.
    oh maybe the coils are bad then.

Idk guys whats the likleyhood that the coil packs are bad I mean the motor is completley stock

check the crankshaft sensor. If thats toast, I'm pretty sure your not going to get spark, I think.... Crap I can't remember anything right now

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

i think your right but one, where is it? and two, how can i tell if its toast?

its underneath the timing belt on the bottom of the block lol. BUT there is a connector that goes by your powersteering pump above it, if I rememeber right. the second part i'm not to sure how you would check that. First thought that comes to mind is if you find the connector stick your meter leads on each wire, and then use the meter with the diode mode with the beep ON, so you can hear when the crank shaft sensor is connecting, while you have someone crank the car. if no beep I would assume that the sensor is either a bad, or b dirty. most likely just shot, and then you might as well change the belt and water pump if its bad anyways...

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Same thing happend to me couple years ago. When I checked under the hood I found out that the cable and terminal from my alternator to the battery was loose and rusted. When I changed the cable and terminal my car started again.

TURBO= in the making.......

the CKP will disable fuel as well in most cases. Do you hear the pump prime?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

yea thats a negative. I dont hear the fuel pump when i try and start the car.

yea thats a negative. I dont hear the fuel pump when i try and start the car.
    A way to test if the fuel pump is bad is to spray some throttle body cleaner or starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it will run that way.If it does you arent getting fuel.

Have you ohmed out the injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    A way to test if the fuel pump is bad is to spray some throttle body cleaner or starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it will run that way.If it does you arent getting fuel.
    Ok I tried this and it seem to run for like a split second, I heard the exhaust and everything, im thinkin fuel pump.

Ok I tried this and it seem to run for like a split second, I heard the exhaust and everything, im thinkin fuel pump.
    Yeah it has to be the fuel pump because it will only run on what is in the throttle body and what is in the gas lines.With out spraying it in there it didnt want to run it just cranked right.

Ok few more ideas for you Rod, as ive dealt with my buddies i4 alot of times, when this happends it was always either one of the following.

Timing belt broke, intake manifold cracked (wiggle the intake hose and see it it moves by throttle body), The main inline fuse did this once, fuel pump took a crap, and of course the factory alarm in the 8g. Put key in door if i remember how this works you have to turn your key in the door to the lock position 3 times or more, or unlock i forget.

Hows your other belts both of them still there?
    Last edited by Dotd0t; 06-30-2011 at 07:24 AM

3.5 Powered 8g
    In Progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotd0t View Post
    Ok few more ideas for you Rod, as ive dealt with my buddies i4 alot of times, when this happends it was always either one of the following.

Timing belt broke, intake manifold cracked (wiggle the intake hose and see it it moves by throttle body), The main inline fuse did this once, fuel pump took a crap, and of course the factory alarm in the 8g. Put key in door if i remember how this works you have to turn your key in the door to the lock position 3 times or more, or unlock i forget.

Hows your other belts both of them still there?
    Thanks dot, and yeah the other belts look fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12