The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alternator wtd!?!?!?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    So Idk what he did but he called a few hours ago and said he doesn't really what's wrong but he thinks its going bad because its a refurbished alternator not a dealer one and he said he will pay for half and my dad pays the other have for the dealer alternator which is like the 600$? Idk this is bullshit and he doesn't even know what's wrong

Nvm he wants my me to pay for the whole thing my dad just said half to my mom cause she was complaining lol
    Last edited by NewGalantKid; 07-02-2011 at 06:03 AM

Tuesday bump
    any thoughts guys?

Bump for what? You haven't supplied any new information, other than the mechanic you are using sounds like an incompetent, worthless, shady bastard.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Well he says the alternator died and he wants me to get a brand new dealer alternator and I wanted to know if you guys thought it was worth it or just go to an auto electrician? I'm pretty sure I asked that already

And I used to not have my current mechanic....about three months ago my original mechanic did an engine swap because my engine died and there was some new guy working with him then my mechanic started coming less and less and now he's never there and that guy is who I assume is now the owner / mechanic is the only one working there besides one assistant or whatever....very weird

Why do you keep going back to them?

If you aren't sure where to go, do one of those yellow page online searches to find a reputable mechanic, one that has had positive reviews from other people.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 07-05-2011 at 12:24 PM

Ok so Idk my mechanic replaced the alternator again he said he doesn't want me to pay for the dealer alternator I'm giving it 2 weeks :/

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    the dealer alternator which is like the 600$?
    WTF!!!!!! Man shit i dont know anyone who pays $600 for an alternator. Your mechanic is out to get you and he is trying to pocket some of that money. I got mine brand new from advanced for $200. Take your car to advanced auto or auto zone and get them to check your alternator, battery and starter. Its free! Then if just so happens to be any one of those 3 or even something else thats wrong with your car take it to a REPUTABLE shop because your mechanic/mechanics sound like idiots and you shouldnt just let ANYONE work on your car. Especially your pride and joy

Quote Originally Posted by G-code88 View Post
    WTF!!!!!! Man shit i dont know anyone who pays $600 for an alternator. Your mechanic is out to get you and he is trying to pocket some of that money. I got mine brand new from advanced for $200. Take your car to advanced auto or auto zone and get them to check your alternator, battery and starter. Its free! Then if just so happens to be any one of those 3 or even something else thats wrong with your car take it to a REPUTABLE shop because your mechanic/mechanics sound like idiots and you shouldnt just let ANYONE work on your car. Especially your pride and joy
    Learn it!

No not brand new he means like from the dealer....doesn't matter he put one in for free lol...he really isn't that bad he just is half retarded lol...and aren't dealer parts always like twice as much?

Any parts from the dealer should be brand new. And alternators only take about 20min tops. If you had the Haynes manuel with a 12mm socket wrench and a 12mm wrench then you could of changed it yourself. But i hope this one works out for you man. You should still go get it tested. It wouldnt hurt

Yea i know I could've but I have no time....he changed mine for free all three times..that's why I'm not complaining too much

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    Yea i know I could've but I have no time....he changed mine for free all three times..that's why I'm not complaining too much
    You are really getting reamed! You don't have time? 20min? Wtf is wrong with your mechanic?

Not really lol...reamed?? And what do you mean what's wrong with my mechanic? Lol

have you checked your battery cables? I had problems once and it turned out it was my ground cable. and if its a bad alternator, dont even bother using your mechanic. its not that hard to replace with simple tools. save the money he's charging you for labor and DIY.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    have you checked your battery cables? I had problems once and it turned out it was my ground cable. and if its a bad alternator, dont even bother using your mechanic. its not that hard to replace with simple tools. save the money he's charging you for labor and DIY.
    My mechanic checked the cables...he charged me the first time only because my alternator died so did my battery and my cables were coroded but he replaced all of it and everytime my alternator died after that he changed completely for free

I don't feel like making a new thread so ill ask here...and plz help lol...so I was moving my back tires to the front and front to the back since my front tires are wearing down faster and all was well until the last wheel the front passenger lug nut stud snapped off I had one missing before too...I will fix it soon but I need my car for work and Wont be able to fix it until Monday at least. Is it safe to drive? So in total I have 3/5 lug nut studs...I drove to the store it was fine..maybe if I drive carefully?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12