The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What are these? Washers?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

What are these? Washers?

Just wondering what are these things on the roof of the 8g?

They're in pairs and located at the beginning of the black strip outlining sides of the roof.

The look like washers(windshield/headlight)...or rubber stoppers.

I don't see many 8gs having these.

Anybody knows?

These washers are installed support autobox.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

stayer@
    Thanks for the picture...but where's the little part there?

Any more ideas?

My 8g friends here gave soem ideas but still not 100% sure as to what these are...

- it's a light sensor...for auto headlights. Mostly Light sensors are installed on the dashboards...first time my friend saw these installed on the roof.

- it's a roof protector. if you're traveling at high speed and the hood suddenly pops open, the hood will first land on these guys and thus protect your roof.

Can any of these 2 be the said objects?

I tried to look for the original forum to ask the owner of the 8g as to what these are but I can't find it anymore.

Hard to tell, at first I thought it was a satellite radio antenna like I had on my G, but then I saw you have two. So I have no idea.

This is what I thought it was:

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Hard to tell, at first I thought it was a satellite radio antenna like I had on my G, but then I saw you have two. So I have no idea.
    Thanks! At least you're the closest bro with you're picture. They do look similar. Maybe one is a dummy?

It looks as if it was glued to the top of the roof with double adhesive tape.

Another friend said it looks like a squirter...but placed on the roof for uniqueness

Any more possible guesses?

I've retraced the owner of the 8g.

His name is Cyphur...he's registered here at TGC but only 2 posts and been inactive for many years.

He's also registered at club3g but also inactive.

Sent PMs...I hope he replies though...

If they have wires going to them they are antennas. I once had 2 also. One for nav and one
    Sat radio. Also when sat radio first came out the reception was shitty, you could be head west and the turn north and lose signal because of anteena placement and satellite position. So there was times when I was at best buy the customer wanted 2 antennas on opposite sides of the car to have better angles (sounds dumb, I know). Then I would leave the wires at the unit with an inch or two of slack so they can switch them should reception be lost. Also back in the day you could go past a tall building and lose the signal until you were in the clear.

Nowadays sat radio has much better reception and a recording function that keeps your unit about 5 seconds behind so when you pass that giant tree or tall building theres still play time until you pick up where you left off. Works kinda like ESP on portable CD players, all you ol'skools know wassup, (rocking the Discman cd
    player with real headphones, not the earbud shit that just don't cut it IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    If they have wires going to them they are antennas. I once had 2 also. One for nav and one
    Sat radio. Also when sat radio first came out the reception was shitty, you could be head west and the turn north and lose signal because of anteena placement and satellite position. So there was times when I was at best buy the customer wanted 2 antennas on opposite sides of the car to have better angles (sounds dumb, I know). Then I would leave the wires at the unit with an inch or two of slack so they can switch them should reception be lost. Also back in the day you could go past a tall building and lose the signal until you were in the clear.

Nowadays sat radio has much better reception and a recording function that keeps your unit about 5 seconds behind so when you pass that giant tree or tall building theres still play time until you pick up where you left off. Works kinda like ESP on portable CD players, all you ol'skools know wassup, (rocking the Discman cd
    player with real headphones, not the earbud shit that just don't cut it IMO)
    Hmmm...by any chance do you know what's the brand of these antennae's?

I want a similar set-up Sounds old-school but I kind-off like how these antennae's look.

Bro, you mentioned you had a similar set-up, so you had to drill holes into the roof for the wires?

The pics are circa 2007. You're explanation makes a lot of sense

No holes needed you just have to be creative to run the wire. And these anteenas are particular to the equipment they come with, and are designed to only work with them. So a pioneer gps antenna only works for Pioneer Nav decks, Alpine with Alpine etc etc. For Satellite radio, they are now one but used to be XM or Sirius.

These antennas are only for said devices and can't be used to pick up regular am or fm radio.

Vic I kept a Discman/Walkman (the real Sony joints, no knockoffs lol) all the way thru middle and high school, I know exactly what you mean. My sat radio had that feature too, they call it a buffer, it had perfect reception as long as I wasn't in a tunnel. Nowadays major markets have terrestrial repeaters to augment the satellite radio signal coming from the sky.

-Greg

I kept mine in use from middle school up until I got my car late Jr year.
    Sony discman was solid, battery life was pretty good too for 2 AA's.

And
    Koss headphones FTW!
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 11-24-2011 at 07:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I kept mine in use from middle school up until I got my car late Jr year.
    Sony discman was solid, battery life was pretty good too for 2 AA's.

And
    Koss headphones FTW!
    Yes those had great battery life. I had a Panasonic one too that was excellent, batteries lasted about a week. I kept mine up until I got my van running the last time in 2003, I was a sophomore in college then. After I got my G in 2004, I havent had one since, but I still have my sports walkman:

mine is in a box in my closet somewhere.

I rocked Aiwa headphones, best bass response from el cheapo's I could find.

Pay no attention to the Aiwa walkman, but those were the headphones.

Sorry for the threadjack!

-Greg

Nice, when I heard how boomy koss was that was it for me.