The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Slight vibration from take off since lowering..v6

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Slight vibration from take off since lowering..v6

Ok I lowered my car this past Thursday on 3g springs by Tenrai with gr2's. Now I noticed the car has a slight tremble that I feel more in the gas pedal than the steering wheel, when I take off from a dead stop. It only lasts for a few secs, no more than 4 if that. After that, there's no problems that I can recall. I read about the common lowered v6 shake but I also thought I should take in consideration I still haven't gotten an alignment yet. Not to mention we forgot to mark which wheel went where, and mark its position on the hub by the valve stem.

Do you think my car is low to the point I might have to try the washer trick, and should I try before or after alignment? Only other issues I have is a vibration under braking, but that's been there way before lowering. I thought one of my lower control arms were bushing, cause it had some sorta fluid around it a while back. I haven't checked to see if it's still there

Btw here's a pic of my drop..springs are rated 1.6front and 1.4 rear drop for a 3g

Also if your tires are directional can that play a part, cause I wonder if we even payed attention. I doubt it cause like I said we didn't mark the wheels smh
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 04-30-2012 at 01:22 AM

get an alignment and check your tires are at least going in the right direction if they are directional (there will be an arrow on the sidewall telling you what direction they were meant to roll).

as for washer trick, my car is much lower w/ no washer trick and no vibration after i got new axles a few years ago.

Thanks for quick response..I'm assuming your car is v6, I forgot if so. I had read the washer trick for the axles months ago, but I thought that was only necessary for slammed cars. I know when I first put my oem 3g strut brace on, it made the slight brake vibration I had much worse. I wonder if it could be a small part of the problem in this case. Because I drove home the night we lowered it with it off, and I don't exactly remember any tremble. Next day I put it on, I know for sure it was there.

I'm gonna look at my tire direction later, and try driving with no brace

yes my car is a '99 esv6 (dropped on TEIN SS-P ~3").

have you checked ur brakes (rotors)? if they are warped, you would get vibration during braking.
    Last edited by Reelax; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 AM

Yeah I uad plaj to tackle brakes aftwr suspension as my pads are low anyways. The tires are all in the right rotation thank god..that's one thing to rule out. Glad too cause i don't have a jack or stands lol. Ill try taking the brace off tomorrow like I said earlier.

Thanks again

Okay so I dont think my car needs anymore time for the springs to settle, the drop height still seems to be the same as the day we lowered it. However about a week later, this vibration definitely seems to have gotten stronger . I don't here any clicks but sometimes now I hear like clunking with the vibration from like 25-30. Also I'm getting some vibes at higher speeds now, but I think that's due to my alignment being off. Because around the same time the vibes came back, my steering wheel is a lil off center when driving at 12 o' clock position. From past history it means my alignment is off, but not horrible.

So long story short I think I'm gonna tackle axles first as I just got priced around 300 something this morning for both axles and labor. Would have done alignment first, but these vibrations have me concerned of possibly damaging my transmission which I just had rebuilt last summer. Cant afford to do that again. Then hopefully no later than 2 weeks after axles I can get the alignment.

What do you guys think, sound like a good plan?
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 05-14-2012 at 10:40 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    I had the same problem when I lowered my car and it turned out to be bad outer cv on my d/s axle.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

many places offer alignment checks for free and if the issue is your alignment, im willing to bet its gonna be cheaper to get that done than it is to get new axles.

FYI. my shakes went away after an alignment

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

mine too after the aligment. but i have a 4cyl so dont know if it was cuz i lowered it.

Hmm..only thing is I can hear things lol. Like I already had a noise prior to lowering when i cut the wheel hard. Its like a high pitch scrunch. Similar to the sound of a shopping cart wheel that's stuck and just drags across the floor as you push. And I can feel it with my foot on the dead pedal/footrest where it feelz like something. Almost feels like something should have a wobble. Probably replace anyway cause the last thing I need is to be stranded somewhere.

Also note my car was way out of alignment before due to bad ball joints. So bad it ran my tires to the wire over a couple of months. And I never felt the vibration or wobble feeling I have now. My steering just stayed in the 11 o clock position lol/smh. And replacing those ball joints and another alignment never cured the noise. I still have it