The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turns over but wont start

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Turns over but wont start

I posted this video on my progress thread but figured I would put it here to since I need to figure out whats wrong with it. Just picked this up and threw a new battery in it turnd over and has a very little hesitation to start so im thinking its a fuel problem I also checked for spark and it does have spark let me know if you guys know what it is.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/18/b0u.mp4/
    Last edited by jonk8123; 04-29-2012 at 02:35 PM

2000 Galant ES 2.4L

Ever get it running..... Mine overheated and died on my wife now its just like yours cranks but not start.

Well to the OP, I would say it could be a couple of things. But first is there a CEL? If the problem was electrical it seems to me anyway that the obd would detect a fault in the electrical systems, which could keep it from starting. For example, maybe there is no pulse signal being sent to Injectors, which would also keep it from starting. Or maybe the Crank sensor could be bad. Im not sure how to diagnose the crank sensor, unless there is ohms readings for it a specific temp?

Now with that said, and if there isnt any CEL, then I would start by making sure there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If no pressure, then you would be on the right track to finding your problem. If there is fuel pressure, then make sure the injectors is pulsing during cranking. I believe you can accomplish the pulsing part by holding a test light to the signal wire and to a ground( someone else should confirm this for you or deny it) while cranking the engine over and seeing if the light blinks. If the light doesnt blink then, it is probably there is a fault in ECM or wiring between them. Or this trick doesnt apply to these cars.

Lastly, make sure the car has the correct timimg. Bring the engine to TDC for piston 1, and confirm that the camshaft sprocket timing marks lineup and that the crank pulley timing marks lineup on the timing cover and that the piston is all the way up at its stroke.

Im not an expert but I seen nobody has stopped by so I put what i thought might help you. The same thing would apply to the both of you. Good luck. Some of the experienced guys should stop by some time.

I just thought of this after typing all that. If the car wont start, then you wouldnt be able to get it to the parts store to check the codes if there were any. Maybe yall can get ahold of one of these scanners, or find a buddy or relative who may have one to help ya out. I know there is specific instructions when using those scanners so you should be carefull. I believe like if you leave it hooked up to the car and you do something?????????

I agree with all his comments, and also check the iac on throttle body, I say it a lot cause I chased a problem with my car idlking high then stalling etc. But check the wires to sensors sometimes one comes lose due to age and does not showa full CEL.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk