The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: UK & US Suspension compatibility?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    ritch_w

UK & US Suspension compatibility?

Hi

does anyone know if the suspension on UK and US Galants is the same?
    are they interchangable?

It seems the US has more kits available and better priced than the UK - if they fit it would be cheaper to get a US kit!

thanks in advance

Ritch

Senior TGC Member
    For the VR-4s it's different for sure, but I'm not certain about the other models. I would think there is a difference though, because of the difference in engines.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

ritch_w
    what about the UK 2.5V6 and the US V6 (3.0?)???
    anyone know?

Senior TGC Member
    Well I checked several market places, to no avail. Though the performance parts are the same for USDM and JDM Galants, it still doesn't answer whether or not it's the same components. All it means is that the parts are compatible among the Galant family with the exception of the VR-4, which at least answers whether or not the suspension is interchangeable. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

ritch_w
    So if the parts are interchangable, then in theory i could purchase as US suspension kit for the US 3.0V6 and it will fit my UK 2.5V6?????

are there any recommended US websites for on line purchasing?

thanks

Senior TGC Member
    Yes that's how it should work. I do not purchase very often from online vendors though. If you're looking for springs, H&R actually makes a different spring set for the JDM Galants, while the US models get their own. I believe Eibach only makes one spring kit for the world. If you're going to get the US spec springs I like Tirerack.com, but I don't know if they deliver out of country. For other suspension parts other members may be of more help.

I've got the H&R Springs, and my set is actually a US Spec on the front and Euro Spec on the rear. The Euro spec has a different spring weight than the US Spec and gave me a lower drop in the rear than the US Spec would have. They fit perfectly, so yes, based on my experience, you should have no problem buying a US Spec set of springs and swapping them out.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ritch_w
    thanks guys,

just out of interest,
    how many of you just change the springs and keep the oem shock absorbers?
    what is the improvement over standard?

for those that have changed springs & shocks - what shocks did you use & what difference did they make??

thanks again for all the help you guys have given!

Senior TGC Member
    I did both. When I had my Eibachs, I kept the OEM struts and the car was very bouncey, there was not enough dampening force (but the ride quality was still great). When I switched over to H&R springs I also installed KYB adjustable struts and I no longer had the bounciness problem.