The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problems removing alternator 2000g 2.4l

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

problems removing alternator 2000g 2.4l

Hi all! First post, first real problem with my G. I need to remove the alternator from my car. ( long story short, the tensioning belt for the alternator sheared off in the housing, and I need to tap it out to and install the new bolt). SO here's the dilemma. I pulled the bottom bolt, and there appears to be sleeve that runs the from the ears of the alternator, to the engine mounting bracket, connecting them all the way through. Now, I really don''t want to take this to a shop, but the only way I am aware to fix it getting it pressed out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.\\thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    What your saying doesnt make sense, or maybe your describing it wrong, Take pics and post them.

The alternator is mounted to the block by a large bolt that has a square head on it. Once you remove the nut and slide the bolt out, thats it. No sleeve or anything like that.

I also wouldnt mess with trying to drill and tap that bolt that goes into the tensioner thing, you can buy that whole tensioner "block" and screw from the dealer for about $25, save yourself the frustration and just replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Coolest newb eva!
    I think I know what you mean. Does it swing like its on a hinge but wont come out? If so, you'll have to stick a pry bar in between and wiggle it out. That's what happened when I pulled one out.

I hate to re-hash an old thread, but anyone ever had problems getting that bottom bolt all the way out? I get it almost all the way and then it butts up against the plastic inside the wheel well.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrstaples1 View Post
    I hate to re-hash an old thread, but anyone ever had problems getting that bottom bolt all the way out? I get it almost all the way and then it butts up against the plastic inside the wheel well.
    Take that plastic off

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    Take that plastic off
    Thanks! I ended up just cutting a hole in it just large enough to get the bolt head through. Seems like that bolt should have been turned around with the square head on the transmission side of the alt.

Yea I guess thaat works, but u would have to take the splash shiel off thing it four bolts if u ever to a timing belt change.

oh gotcha. yeah, I'm probably due for that soon too.