The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil leak...

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Oil leak...

So I have a leak of some sort, from a seal or gasket I'm guessing. What exactly do I need to replace from the looks of it?

Looks like its around my Valve cover.

Any advice is appreciated!

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    yep that is the valve cover, you got a v6 right? go to rock auto they have a kit from fel-pro that contains both gaskets and 6 tube seals. you should check the rear to see if its the same, if you have to change both, they you going to need the plenum gasket. you should also check the drive side there is a cap if you find oil in that side as well you might need to replace that as well, if you want to tackle everything at once.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 08-01-2012 at 04:48 PM

In addition to the gaskets mentioned above, the oil cap is another common source of oil leaks on the front valve cover.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Cam thrust cap as well

I've read that the Beck-Arnley (spelling?) kit fits better than the Fel-Pro, no fighting to keep the gasket in place as you install it. Anyone else have problems fitting the Fel-Pro or can attest to the B-A one fitting better?

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I've read that the Beck-Arnley (spelling?) kit fits better than the Fel-Pro, no fighting to keep the gasket in place as you install it. Anyone else have problems fitting the Fel-Pro or can attest to the B-A one fitting better?

i used the fel-pro and had no problem with it staying on. The thing about putting the gasket on is that it only goes in one way, it may look like it can go either way but if you have to stretch it to fit then it goes the other way. once i put it in the correct position it held with no problem, also know that the channels at certain positions come together closer just a bit to hold it.

This is my experience from doing my v6 i had to do the rear twice and the front a few times trying to make sure I got it right. Once I got the front correct and learned from my mistakes i then took everything off to do the rear the second time.

but i also had another leak which needs to be looked at closely and its the cam thrust cap in the front head its on the right hand side right next to where the upper radiator hose connected too. Man that was a bitch to replace that O-ring as I had to take the coolant housing off just to get it out. and if you take that housing off you have to replace two more gaskets which i found in the part store and three o-rings which i could not find anywhere since mine were still flexible i re-used it.

oh yeah one more thing when you clean the covers using paper towels alone will not help you need to wash it with soap, degrease the hell out of it if the oil got into the channels then it got into the top portion of the cover and when putting it back in the oil is squeezed out and you no longer have a good seal.

Safe to say that this is a good time to change my oil as well?

I don't see the need to go to crazy changing a bunch of other seals and gaskets. I just want to get rid of my P0403 code from the EGR solenoid and get the oil to stop leaking. I plan on beginning a 6G75 swap in the winter.

You don't have to change the oil to change the covers. If i was you pass your hand around where the cover touches the head in the rear head to see if you have a leak there, if its dry then you can just do the front and save close to 5 hours of extra labor.

I agree, I have 4 cyl but I had same looking covers not bad enough leak to leave spot but what looked like dirt or residue, I change valve cover gasket, sparl plug gaskets with rtv grey, pcv vavlve gasket ( it was so lld and brittle it broke off in pieces, and oil cap gasket I also changed one lifter, Mr car is silent and now I have no residue around my head. Its one of those things you will notice afterwards and then wonder why u didn't do it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    i used the fel-pro and had no problem with it staying on.
    Same here, for the 4-cyl version.