The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stock air box mod?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Stock air box mod?

I was searching through some threads about cold air intakes and I read a few posts about modding the stock air box, something about cutting off the bottom part, I can't find the threads that I read. There was a member that did it, his name started with a Z, it said he cut the bottom box off, and took out some resonators and capped off something else. Is there a tutorial or anything that explains exactly what to do? There was a thread in the 9g section that said modding the stock air box actually got better results than a CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareOne View Post
    I was searching through some threads about cold air intakes and I read a few posts about modding the stock air box, something about cutting off the bottom part, I can't find the threads that I read. There was a member that did it, his name started with a Z, it said he cut the bottom box off, and took out some resonators and capped off something else. Is there a tutorial or anything that explains exactly what to do? There was a thread in the 9g section that said modding the stock air box actually got better results than a CAI.
    I did this mod when I got my G years ago. Yeah, I just literally cut the bottom off the air box.

I did the same thing and dropped in a k&n filter.
    It's pretty easy with a dremel and a cut off disk.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

Just get a maf adapter and cone filter

where exactly did you cut? that box below the air box that you put the filter in?

I, have a 8th gen I was thinking about doing this mod as well.
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

Wow this thread is turning into getto mod .

^^^ lmao

It beats spending $150-200 on a CAI. In the 9g threads there was a post comparing the mod to CAI's and the modded stock air box had better results. I don't know if the 9gs intake is different but if I can get the same or better results with just cutting my air box and saving the money id rather do that.

Heres the quote from that thread.
    "Further options is to remove the lower section of the air box which is a separate part of the air box mounted onto the chassis and clips into the lower portion of the air box. RPW has found that this reservoir, which is factory sealed, if cut on the end enables air to be sucked into the air box. The air is sourced from the inner passenger side guard and not only provides further cold air, but additionally, provides around a 25% increase in air flow into the air box. RPW has successfully done this on many vehicles now with no side effects and fully protected from any water being ingested into the engine."

Also says

"But in all honesty, stock air box with the modified air intake on both ends is superior to an aftermarket cold air kit."

Magnehelic guage or manometer.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareOne View Post
    It beats spending $150-200 on a CAI.
    I think you're mislead on a few things. Not everything cost as high as the name brand products....

00-05 ECLIPSE/01-03 GALANT/STRATUS/SEBRING V6 BLUE COLD AIR INTAKE INDUCTION KIT

$60 Shipped

I agree and disagree, this is why, yes cai gives u better power etc, but my issues are I have to cut my pipe to install the water bypass. Then I have to still dodge every puddle. Yes I am being extreme a bit, but my car did hydrolock and luckily did not kill the car. Secondly is, its a fact, the oiled rubber cones the most HP gain you will have is right when you install a newly cleaned cone, then it collects dirt from there. Yes the stock one collects dirt but if you have looked in the chamber it rams air into pockets and back into the box so large particles can not get anywhere near the filter. Therefore smallest of particles is hitting the filter not so on a cai. So a stcok airbox, one is already there and sited at n area of low pressure where the air wants to come into the assembly simply cause of the pressure difference. You can get mangnehelic gauge and test for lower pressure areas but where the best area is varies car to car. So cutting the bottom out the air box will give you some cooler air and still have filter protected. please do this: go to autospeed.com and search "into the intake" or "magnehelic" and please read the article. Please. Then come back nd let me know what u think. Thanks guys.

This is a valid point. The solution is to by a short ram intake. Or just a cone filter and an adapter. I did the air box mod and it does work great and it looks stock. I always planned on replacing it with a short ram intake but I just always forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    I agree and disagree, this is why, yes cai gives u better power etc, but my issues are I have to cut my pipe to install the water bypass. Then I have to still dodge every puddle. Yes I am being extreme a bit, but my car did hydrolock and luckily did not kill the car. Secondly is, its a fact, the oiled rubber cones the most HP gain you will have is right when you install a newly cleaned cone, then it collects dirt from there. Yes the stock one collects dirt but if you have looked in the chamber it rams air into pockets and back into the box so large particles can not get anywhere near the filter. Therefore smallest of particles is hitting the filter not so on a cai. So a stcok airbox, one is already there and sited at n area of low pressure where the air wants to come into the assembly simply cause of the pressure difference. You can get mangnehelic gauge and test for lower pressure areas but where the best area is varies car to car. So cutting the bottom out the air box will give you some cooler air and still have filter protected. please do this: go to autospeed.com and search "into the intake" or "magnehelic" and please read the article. Please. Then come back nd let me know what u think. Thanks guys.