The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question on KYB's

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Question on KYB's

I really don't know the answer to this and wanted to get an opinion from someone who has these, but I was curious if the KYB AGX Shocks and Struts are separate items, because I've been reading forum posting here and on Club3g and it seems to lead toward they being the same unit. Wanted to get clarification on this though. I'm still a newbie when it comes to the specs on stuff so bare with me.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

yes, they are the same unit. I know for sure that its called a shock absorber, it is also referred to as a strut, but im not sure why. (maybe just another name for it?)

Senior TGC Member
    It's not the same construction, but it serves the same purpose (to dampen the springs). From what I am told, struts generally go in front of the car, and shocks go in the rear. However, on our cars it looks like we have struts all around. The way I understand it a shock does not have the metal bit protruding from the housing assembly (whereas a strut does).
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Question

So now that you've told me that, is it not a good idea to get KYB shocks/Strut set for the Eclipse to go on my 8g?
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

Senior TGC Member
    No no that's not what I meant. All I was doing was letting you know that a strut and a shock is not the same thing. If you want to get the KYB AGX for your Galant, just make sure it fits the 01-03 Eclipses front and rear.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Rallifan. I'm gona get the shock/strut set soon from te GB on CLub3g thanks again for the info.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

snipe99
    ok this may sound pretty stupid but its the 3G eclipse kyb agx stuts you would get for a 2001 on galant i4 just makin sure before i order anything

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snipe99
    ok this may sound pretty stupid but its the 3G eclipse kyb agx stuts you would get for a 2001 on galant i4 just makin sure before i order anything
    Yes.

4 struts is what we use for 2002 i4 instead of two struts and two shocks like eclipse?
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

snipe99
    ok so if i were to order from the group buy on the 3G forum would that be what i am correctly ordering

wether they are shocks or struts that the 3g eclipse ('00+) uses, the 8g galant ('99+) has the exact same suspension. the only differences are the spring rates. KYB AGX's are adjustable so you could compensate for any weight differences. what i'm saying is that the 3G suspension compnents and the 8G suspension components are INTERCHANGEABLE; the only difference would b 4 the spring rates (size would b the same).

sooo.... getting in on the 3G group buy for AGX KYB would give you the EXACT right parts.

snipe99
    Thanx everybody for the help

thanks reelax you cleared everything up.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net