The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noise from left front maybe?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Noise from left front maybe?

My wife's 2000 2.4L ES started making a noise the other day. It only seems to happen at about 45 MPH to above, and I don't think it's an engine noise. This morning I took it out for a spin, got up to about 55 MPH threw it into neutral and shut the engine off and still heard it.

It's not a clanging or scraping noise, it's kind of a whirring sound like maybe something's rubbing but I can't find anything anywhere. Since it only happens at 45 MPH or faster I can't test it in the driveway, from listening to it when driving it sounds like it may be coming from the left front. Also if I lean close to the dashboard it gets louder so I was thinking maybe it was something in there.

So yeah, I'm confused.

The pads and rotors are in good shape, I changed the outer tie rod ends last summer. The tires are relatively new (bought last summer) and were balanced when they were installed and the pressure is good.

Has anybody had this? Any guesses at what it could be?

Plastic fender guard? Wheel bearing?

I thought a wheel bearing going bad would be more of a grinding sound?

It's been raining here so I didn't get a chance to take a good look at it, but a quick peek I didn't see anything that looked like it was rubbing.

Wheel bearing are more of a humming noise. On a open safe highway, get the noise to produce. Then swerve the car left and right like dodging a pothole. If you Swerve right and the noise goes away its the left wheel bearing. Vise versa when Turing left.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Wheel bearing are more of a humming noise. On a open safe highway, get the noise to produce. Then swerve the car left and right like dodging a pothole. If you Swerve right and the noise goes away its the left wheel bearing. Vise versa when Turing left.
    Spot on advice. I'm replacing my left front wheel bearing this morning and it was doing exactly what Gotti is saying. Another way to test the wheel bearing is to jack the front of the car up then grab the coil spring and spin the tire. Do this on both sides. You'll feel a bad wheel bearing as it will make a "crunchy" feeling like walking on gravel.

On a side note, I got a good deal on a quality bearing off Amazon and got Prime shipping too. Good place to check for parts.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Ok... We were out driving this afternoon. I didn't do exactly what Gotti said but there is a road near me that's pretty twisty. The noise sounded like a buzzing, my wife said "It sounds like we're driving a go-cart". Anyway on this twisty road when I turned to the right the sound stayed but when I turned to the left the sound stopped but came back when I straightened out.

So I guess that confirms it, the front right wheel bearing needs to be replaced? My Hanes book says that the hub & bearing are all one assembly so I guess that's what I'll be doing. It doesn't look like it's that bad of a job, is that right?

And a second question is should I do both sides at the same time or only the one that's making noise?
    Last edited by mikelbeck; 05-25-2013 at 07:30 PM

Do one. Double check the bad bearing by grabing the spring and spinning the wheel like I mentioned. You'll definitely feel it. You can also lift the car and then grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push in on one side and pull out on the other (go back and forth). If it rocks the bearing is bad.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Do one. Double check the bad bearing by grabing the spring and spinning the wheel like I mentioned. You'll definitely feel it. You can also lift the car and then grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push in on one side and pull out on the other (go back and forth). If it rocks the bearing is bad.
    this ^

the last method will also help you determine other issues in the suspension, ball joints, and such

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

So.... it turns out that both sides were bad. I had a look at what was involved, then talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said he had time to do it so I figured I'd rather have a pro do it.

The passenger's side was the worst and made the most noise. Once he replaced that one and took it for a test drive the driver's side was making noise so that one had to be replaced too. Took an extra day while I chased down the part - I bought the last one my local AutoZone had in stock so I had to hit up the others in the area to find one. Finally found another one this afternoon and got it installed tonight. No more noise from the bearings but now I find that the rotors are shot and the brake pads are worn unevenly. So I'll be doing the brakes this weekend I guess...

that good feeling when people on the internet help fix problems

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    that good feeling when people on the internet help fix problems
    Exactly.