The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ODB Scanner Won't Connect??

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Icon9 ODB Scanner Won't Connect??

damn, i'm gonna be known around here as "the guy always having problems with his car" in a sec.

basically the topic says it all. the check engine light is on [been on for a good while]. of course i went to autozone to get it read, but they had problems connecting to it? thinking it was just their scanner, i went to advanced auto parts; same problem.

has anyone had this problem before?? i have my emissions and my tags to get before May23, so i got a bit of time. other forums [for different cars] stated that it could possibly be a fuse? i had a friend check and no fuses have been blown out for what he could see.

hell, i even took it to a repairman and even HE couldnt figure out what it was...

2000 Galant ES

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    I would check the fuse box under the dash. And when in doubt just try a new or different fuse in there anyway. I have had fuses look fine but didn't work.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    when in doubt just try a new or different fuse in there anyway. I have had fuses look fine but didn't work.
    yeah that's what i was thinking as well. i switched it out with another 15v fuse just a sec ago

i did go to autozone a sec ago and used their code reader. i was able to get a code but i had to apply some decent pressure to it before it was able to connect and / or read. i just wanna get it all done now so i won't have any problems w/ the emissions test. think it may be a shortage in the wires??

I always have this problem with mine. What I do is connect to the port and then pull on the connector or cable slightly towards me not down or it will unplug.

Make sure they are using the correct plug. There is a black plug (correct) and a white plug (wrong) in the same area. I think the white plug only has one wire going to it, anyways when I went to autozone the moron hooked the scanner to the white plug and of course nothing happen.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Finally!!! Someone other than me. Trust me I don't wish my problems on you, its just that I'm in the same boat. Except its advance auto for me. Yet the shop I go to can get codes no problem...but with a 50$ charge everytime. Which is annoying if you have a situation like me where the light is on one min and like 15mins, a day, or a week later its back on. I cant keep paying that without knowing if there's a definite problem or just a quirk my car has.
    I've tried advance twice, and each time dude said it wont even read. He thought it was something the used car lot I got my car from rigged, so a mechanic can't check it before you buy it.

Does the autozone you go to use a small orange scanner?

$50 A Pop! What a rip! You can buy a cheap code reader for that online, it may not give you a description or live data like the fancy ones but you can google the code or look it up here, plus who doesn't have a smartphone to look sgit it up.

8th but a code reader bruh...

And again try pulling the connector twords you once its plugged in, Both my G's are like that and my friends car is like that too, but we make it work

holy crap, $50 each time, I bought a nice scanner off amazon, it does live data, erases codes, and other stuff I don't use. And yes I think the autozone scanner is orange, it looks like every other scanner.

Here's the one I have:
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Yeah last time they cleared the code I looked at the bill and it was $50 and some change. I'm like wtf. I didn't make a big deal cause I know one of the managers and he's cut me a few deals in the past. It wouldn't have been too bad if I had the problem fix to cure the light that day, but he said since it was related to the cat..he didn't wanna mess with it unless he had to and to see if it came back. It was a code for cat warm-up. I assume that's still the reason for the light now, but like I said its so random. If I can find a place local, I'm gonna buy a scanner myself. If it doesn't work I'll return it

Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Finally!!! Someone other than me. Trust me I don't wish my problems on you, its just that I'm in the same boat. Except its advance auto for me. Yet the shop I go to can get codes no problem...but with a 50$ charge everytime. Which is annoying if you have a situation like me where the light is on one min and like 15mins, a day, or a week later its back on. I cant keep paying that without knowing if there's a definite problem or just a quirk my car has.
    I've tried advance twice, and each time dude said it wont even read. He thought it was something the used car lot I got my car from rigged, so a mechanic can't check it before you buy it.

Does the autozone you go to use a small orange scanner?
    yeah man they used a simple orange one. but fifty dollars a scan is ridiculous!! you can get yourself a simple one on Amazon for 20!!

usually they scan it for me, but yesterday i had my pitbull in the backseat [shes harmless, but they dont know that] so i was able to scan it myself

well i m not sure but check my swap thread, i had to rewire 2 wires to be able to connect the ecu to my pc ...

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige