The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Idle Air Screw

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Idle Air Screw

So I was adjusting my idle today and my damn idle air screw just kind of crumbled in half, must be some really soft metal. Does anyone know where I can get another one? I tried googleing and nothing came up as far as replacing the screw and the last time I was at the junkyard there werent any 8g's there, not sure if 7g's screw would work. If anyone has one handy as well please let me know.

You shouldn't have touched it in the first place it's not ment to be messed with it is already set from factory!!!! If your having idle issues check all vacuum lines, check your intake mani's flange for a crack, intake piping, clean you IAC And mass air flow all these are common issues related to idle issues.

Ya I had a bad IAC and I had to screw it pretty much all the way in to bring the idle down, after I changed the IAC the idle was really low from having it screwed in so far, so I was backing out a bit to get the idle back to where its supposed to be, and it just broke in half.

Also, whenever I do get a new screw, is there a way to set it back to where the factory had it? Is there a certain amount of turns from fully screwed in to set it back to where its supposed to be?

No u just need to keep on adjusting until u idle at around 700rpm
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Ok thats what I thought, now I just need to get a darn screw, I just hope I can get this one out without the rest breaking and having to use an easy out or something to get it out.

If its seized or stuck spray some pb blaster
    Last edited by spdracr; 08-10-2012 at 02:44 AM
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

its not stuck at all, it turns pretty easy, its just when I was backing it out it just crumbled, i guess the heat over the years made it soft or something.

its plastic
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    its plastic
    Are you sure?? I swear it was metal.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

yep its a plastic type material
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Well I guess that explains why it was so soft and weak. I guess I'll have to go to the dealership and see if I can get one from them.

Plastic...

The idle screw wont fix your idle. That is putting a bandaid to it. Even if you mess with the screw the pcm already has a idle target. No matter what the pcm will try to keep that target. Do what deez said. Check for vacuum leaks. Clean the maf sensor. Change your filter etc.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Ok I will check, I just replaced the air filter like a month ago, ill clean the maf and check for vacuum leaks. Do you think it could be my IAC, i just replaced it but i replaced it with a much less expensive aftermarket IAC rather than the $200+ for the oem. Ive noticed at times that when stopped at a light certain times ill be idling at 1000 rpm, and a few lights later ill be around 600 rpm. The rpm stays steady and doesnt constantly fluctuate, it just idles at a different rpm after I come to a stop.

When you changed the iac did you ever power reset the pcm. Disconnect the batt for a few minutes. After that let the car idle for 15 min or so. The idle screw is adjusted by mitsu according to the iac signal levels. Iac open a closes according to cold start, A/C, power steering. When ever the pcm wants a increase the rpm it sends a signal to the iac to open a bit so more air could come in thru the tb.

So power reset the pcm so i could register better the iac motor. Also adjust the screw since it mess up the stock adjustment until the pcm likes it.

I would get a another tb from the junkyard.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Bottom line If the screw is messed up is should b replaced if mines ever gets broken ima replace that shit check out this website 4 the screw.

rockauto.com
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

The screw is a red nylon screw. I had to use a easy out to get mine out once... It's technical name is BISS basic Idle Speed Screw. I've replaced the IAC, TPS, MAF on mine... There is a valve on the bottom of the Intake thas has a single screw and a rotating adjustment. I don't know how they adjust that thing either. What is that thing called any one know? So the biss and that vivle thing both have adjustment from the factory... Must use a computer...