The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: jerks a little when idle

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

jerks a little when idle

i noticed this started happening a while before i had a my 4th cylinder misfiring on me. I have just replaced my all my spark plugs, spark plug wires and ignition coil boot which fixed the misfire and i was also hoping this would make my car idle better, but it didn't. What could be causing my car to jerk a little when i'm idling? it's not really noticeable but it feels like the engine sputtering.

have you disconnected the batt recently?

"jerks a little when idle" - Don't worry, a lot of guys do that. You won't go blind or anything.

Oh, you mean your car?

What RPM are you idling at? Your idle may have dropped a bit low and could cause it. Is the car running smooth otherwise? Have you kept up on basic maintenance like replacing the fuel filter?
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I have the same problem as well - my car not me :)

Just joining the conversation to see what the suggestions are.

Quote Originally Posted by gallant View Post
    have you disconnected the batt recently?
    I have

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    "jerks a little when idle" - Don't worry, a lot of guys do that. You won't go blind or anything.

Oh, you mean your car?

What RPM are you idling at? Your idle may have dropped a bit low and could cause it. Is the car running smooth otherwise? Have you kept up on basic maintenance like replacing the fuel filter?
    LOL but from what i remember my idle is around 800RPM, the car seems to run fine and i have kept up on basic maintenance. However, i'm not really sure when was the last time my cars fuel filter has been replaced. I've only owned it for about a year with ~156k mileage

recent battery disconnect? then it started doing this? ecu could be relearning. sounds like a slight stumble at idle rpms move up and down then its fine then stumble again?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Head back to the parts store and pick up a can of either brake cleaner or Throttle body/Carb cleaner and a can of MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner, roll of shop towels too.

Once you have everything disconnect the battery again, remove it from the car. Remove the intake tube and pretend your throttle body is a woman, finger deep in there with a towel soaked in the solvent you bought, clean it out completely in and around. DO NOT SPRAY IT DIRECTLY.

Then get your MAF cleaner and spray the MAF down. Re-assemble and reconnect battery, start up and go for one hell of a test drive, you may stall once or twice, after about 10 minutes it she clear up.

Would hurt to seafoam it also.

o.o took me almost a month to get back to this. I cleaned both my throttle body and MAF last friday and it still didn't fix it. Turns out, one of my ignition coils was not producing enough spark. Replaced it with a new one and that seem to have fixed the problem

BTW, Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by djaltamira View Post
    LOL but from what i remember my idle is around 800RPM, the car seems to run fine and i have kept up on basic maintenance. However, i'm not really sure when was the last time my cars fuel filter has been replaced. I've only owned it for about a year with ~156k mileage

There is no fuel filter in the galant, it's a screen, it doesn't collect like a filter it just kinda screens out any large particles. It's part of the fuel filter. which sits inside the gas tank and the gas in the tank acts as a coolant for the pump so never go below half a tank or the pump will get hot and work harder. Also don't fill it up too far or the gas might travel into the evap system.

Quote Originally Posted by thegalant View Post
    There is no fuel filter in the galant, it's a screen, it doesn't collect like a filter it just kinda screens out any large particles. It's part of the fuel filter. which sits inside the gas tank and the gas in the tank acts as a coolant for the pump so never go below half a tank or the pump will get hot and work harder. Also don't fill it up too far or the gas might travel into the evap system.
    Yes it does. It is on the passenger side firewall. The fuel line feeding the injector rail is attached to it. Also, everything else you've said is completely, mind-blowingly wrong.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 07-18-2013 at 08:25 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin