The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: supercharge or not to supercharge

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

supercharge or not to supercharge

Im thinking in the future that I would like to Supercharge my galant. A couple of things that are giving me doubts about this is that I use my G for daily driving so for those who are supercharged or tubrboed how much driving do u do? How many miles u have on your G's? Ive already put in a lot of money into my G repairing it bodykit hood etc. not sure if I wanna put in more into it or spend that money on something else like A BIKE maybe. What would you get a bike or supercharge your G? I know I havent done enough research about supercharging/turboing but I heard a turbo or supercharged civic and an eclipse whizz by me the other day and they sounded sweet the psss sound I guess when pressure gets released as you switch gears. I know i gotta do more research. :? SHould I get it?

If you can afford it - I would get it. I know I definatly would be getting it, but I am doing some show mods to my car right now, and thats more important to me at this point. I am planning on eventually getting supercharged myself - when I have the cash available. I think most members who have it here are daily drivers, and would recomend it - but they will have to speak for themselves. I would personally supercharge the galant rather than getting a bike. Just my 02 cents.

I put 30 miles on my galant daily coming to work, and it is supercharged and I have over 60k miles.

www.rippmods.com

I would recommend that kit.
    Love,
    Matt

Yeah i know about rippmods already ive been reading a lot of posts about superchargers. What about turbo kits im under impression that they are cheaper but its hard to tune them with a bigger chance to blow your engine and with rippmods it sounds like youre in better hands. Now do they do all of the installation work or do you have to do something yourself. And what gauges would you want to have in a supercharged G and do rippmods do that for you 2? THANKS

akiraflux
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    I put 30 miles on my galant daily coming to work, and it is supercharged and I have over 60k miles.

www.rippmods.com

I would recommend that kit.
    nobody has mentioned the hit on mpg. is it horrible?

in the case of sds or turbo if u don't tune your engine u have a chance of blowing your engine. So you can't judge them by that. Cheaper for the turbo? Well if you are just getting the basic kit. I know i'm totally happy with my xtech kit i have. i know the tq numbers on matts car are kinda low, not sure why? little help matt?

because I am running Rich like a mother fucker. I need to lean it out a bit.

Since I am running rich the gas mileage sucks. About 215 miles per tank. Of course if you jump on the gas, the mileage goes down real quick.
    Love,
    Matt

so how much you think it will change with the tune?

SuperchargedGTZ
    I was one of the original SDS cars and as far as driveability, it is fine. You just have to have the willingness to play with the car and understand how the system and the car work together. If you dont know alot about the kit you are purchasing, you need to REALLY read up on it and understand the mechanics and logics of the system. This was the mistake that I had made and for about 2 weeks I kept on bugging Ross at RIPP for minor little details when, now, I wouldnt even think of calling cause it is something I can address on my own now. There are alot of little things that come into play when adding an FI kit to a car that wasnt originally designed for it. But like previously stated, if you got the goods, BY ALL MEANS GET IT. There is nothing like smoking an unsuspecting 911 porshe (not turbo) and seeing the look on the guys face as you pass him.

So far I have put about 6-10K miles on the blower system (no problems) and 1800 miles on my new engine. My car now has almost 90K on it.

Re: supercharge or not to supercharge

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Juventas)</div><div class='quotemain'>but I heard a turbo or supercharged civic and an eclipse whizz by me the other day and they sounded sweet the psss sound I guess when pressure gets released as you switch gears.</div>
    that was the blow-off valve. It releases boost pressure when you let off the throttle so you don't fuck stuff up.

And if you don't know what a BOV is, yes you are going to have to do A LOT more research. Dyno tuning, at least around here, runs about $70-$100 an hour, unless you make your own changes between dyno runs. What kind of injectors are you going to use? What about an Air-Fuel Controller? Fuel Pump? How much boost will your stock internals take? There are all sorts of things you need to consider before you turbo.

The ripp kit comes with almost everything you need, even the new motor mounts. All you need is the gauges.
    Love,
    Matt