The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator belt wet, timing belt dry

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Alternator belt wet, timing belt dry

When my wife got her new Outlander Sport, her 2002 8G 4g64 was passed on to my mom.
    It has a really bad oil leak (over a quart a week, sometimes 2) and whatever's leaking is soaking the alternator belt, but the timing belt is dry. It's got 225K miles on it and the only gaskets that I'm aware have been replaced were the valve cover gasket that I did a few years ago to stop it from leaking onto the exhaust manifold.

So where would you start? Just replace the seal behind the balancer pulley and see how that does?

The car does tend to smoke a bit when run on the highway and then coming to a stop, you can see the smoke from the oil creeping out from under the hood, and sort of a strip of splatter where it's been flinging some of the oil.

The non-belt side of the engine seems ok and no leaks there. I'll be doing this in the parking lot of my apartment so I won't have the ability to get underneath to do the oil pan at this time.
    Last edited by stonent; 08-14-2013 at 04:39 PM

I would check the cam and crank seals for oil drips found on the side of the motor.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-14-2013 at 06:57 PM