The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Horn turns on by itself!!!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Horn turns on by itself!!!

This has happened a few times now, and its getting annoying. Any ideas what could be causing this?? The only way of turning it off when it comes on is by pressing the horn on the steering wheel.

and I thought mine was the only that does it... the plastic is wraping witch is almost hitting the switch, solution idk, unless u replace the airbag or find a way to take it apart

Mine was doing it so often I just pulled the fuse in the dash for it; but I was told by the body shop that last worked on it its probably a wiring problem in the steering column and they didn't want to look any further than that after they pretty much rebuilt the front end of the car.....

Souns like the contacts in the steering wheel are touching. It will require disassembly to correct the problem.

It might be the clock spring.... Thats what my mechanic said but that a worst case senario. I punched my steering wheel n it goes of by itself all the time so I just disconnected the horn

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I was looking for solutions for this as well. my horn goes off on its own and in the middle of the night until I kept punching it to stop. Then sometimes it would go off randomly. This was months ago so I took out the fuse since it kept going off. I tried to put a fuse back in today and it was constantly on so I took it out. If it's a wiring problem do you think I can fix it when installing my eclipse steering wheel. ?
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"

I've got a JDM Galant (i'm in Sri Lanka), and I had this problem. The horn switch is integrated into the airbag unit, and it costs an arm and a leg to replace that!
    So I had no choice but to attempt a repair. Carefully disarmed the airbag unit and removed it off the car. The horn switch is something that looks like two sheets of plastic (with conductive strips), with a layer of glue/gel in between. The problem was that the sheets were coming into contact even at rest. So I separated those two and placed a few really thin pieces of foam-like tape (think of a double sided 3m tape) so that they are not in contact with each other, and put the whole thing back together.
    Been over a year now, and it works great! If you attempt this, make sure to really tighten the bolts holding the airbag unit to the casing, and of course to connect the electrical connectors correctly. Of course, for you guys in the States, I'm sure you can pull off an airbag unit from a junkyard, am I right?