The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G - Fogs auto-on with headlights Mod?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Sammy_ES

8G - Fogs auto-on with headlights Mod?

Anyone have a mod to make the stock fogs automatically come on when you turn the headlights on? In my state (PA), its illegal to ride with fogs and high beams on, so they would still have to turn off when I flick the highbeams on.

How lazy am I, I'm tired of hitting the button.

Elwenil
    To make them come on with the headlamp switch should be no problem. Take the foglamp switch loose from the dash and with a multimeter find which wire sends power from the headlamp switch to the foglamp switch, then connect it to the wire that supplies the foglamps from the foglamp switch. Essentially you are just bypassing the foglamp switch. I'm trying at the moment to find a way to get the fogs on with my parking lamps, but still have them go off when I hit the highbeams. The only way I can think of to do that is with a few relays, and I'm too lazy to do that much wiring right now, lol...

Experienced TGC Member
    Hey Eliwin, thats a great idea. Im going to try that out tonight.

MitsuRacer
    I'm desperatley trying to find a mod that was on here awhile ago that allowed you to turn on your fogs whenever you want, like even when sidemarkers are off. I really want to be able to cruise at dusk with just my Nokya Arctic White fogs on...... :twisted:

that'd be nice MitsuRacer - i wish i could find that too--

i was sitting one day, and i was thinking about having my fogs be part of my blinkers, maybe even alternate blinking...

but thatd be too hard for me.

delo
    The first part is easy. just leave the fog lights switch on. then when u turn on the headlights the fogs will come on too. when u turn off the headlights the fogs go off. thats what i do. the part about the fogs and highbeams, I dont know.

dza
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(delo)</div><div class='quotemain'>The first part is easy. just leave the fog lights switch on. then when u turn on the headlights the fogs will come on too. when u turn off the headlights the fogs go off. thats what i do. the part about the fogs and highbeams, I dont know.</div>

I think he was trying to get around pushing that extra button though.

delo
    what extra button. all u have to do is switch it to ON ONCE. then it stays in the ON position. theres more extra work if he starts doing relays and re-wiring. in the 7gs we have a switch not a button. maybe thats the difference

dza
    Isn't it turning it on once every time the car is turned on though? See, being that I am lazy i understand laziness. You go through extremes which usually are longer and harder to keep from doing a very simple task like flipping one switch or button.

Re: 8G - Fogs auto-on with headlights Mod?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sammy_ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone have a mod to make the stock fogs automatically come on when you turn the headlights on? Â*In my state (PA), its illegal to ride with fogs and high beams on, so they would still have to turn off when I flick the highbeams on.

How lazy am I, I'm tired of hitting the button. Â* </div>

I did that from the instructions posted a looong time ago for an Eclipse. Can't recall the link. But anyway.. mind are wired so they are on whenever the headlights are on, either hi or low. I had it that way for a year and a half while I still lived in Red Lion with no prob. I wouldn't sweat it.

delo
    U guys got me confused now. Maybe i'm missing something. i have a 7g so maybe things are different. I set my fogs switch to ON. Now when i turn on the car and turn on the headlights, the fog lights come ON automatically. now when i turn ON my highbeams, the fogs go OFF. when i turn OFF my highbeams, the fogs come back ON. so yall telling me that this doesn't happen in the 8gs. I thought the 8gs were suppose to be an improvement of the 7gs. but hey, i just found out on this board that the 8gs dont have a gas tank cover release lever inside the car next to the trunk release lever.

Sammy_ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(delo)</div><div class='quotemain'>U guys got me confused now. Maybe i'm missing something. i have a 7g so maybe things are different. I set my fogs switch to ON. Now when i turn on the car and turn on the headlights, the fog lights come ON automatically. now when i turn ON my highbeams, the fogs go OFF. when i turn OFF my highbeams, the fogs come back ON. so yall telling me that this doesn't happen in the 8gs. I thought the 8gs were suppose to be an improvement of the 7gs. but hey, i just found out on this board that the 8gs dont have a gas tank cover release lever inside the car next to the trunk release lever.</div>

Yea, my 8G (2003)'s stock fogs have more of an electronic button than a switch. You hit the button, and the fogs come off. If you turn your headlights off and back on, your fogs move back to the off position. If you have your fogs on, then turn the car off and back on, your fogs move back to the off position.

dza
    But when you turn your car off then back on again, you have to hit your fog light switch again right? Thats the same on the 8g. Dude just wants one switch to turn the headlights and fogs on. As for the gas tank lever thing, i like it better without that. You dont have to remember to flip it when getting gas, you can just open it outside.

delo
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dza)</div><div class='quotemain'>But when you turn your car off then back on again, you have to hit your fog light switch again right? Thats the same on the 8g. Dude just wants one switch to turn the headlights and fogs on. As for the gas tank lever thing, i like it better without that. You dont have to remember to flip it when getting gas, you can just open it outside.</div>

thats what i'm saying. i only have to turn on my fogs lights ONCE. ok check this out. i get into the car now. i turn ON the fog light switch. i turn ON the headlights. so now i have BOTH the headlights and fogs ON. i turn off the headlights. Now both the fogs and headlights are OFF. i turn the car OFF. i go into the house. i come back out. i turn the car ON. i turn on the headlights only. NOW BOTH THE HEADLIGHTS AND FOGS ARE ON. now yall see what i'm saying? hope that clears up the point. maybe another 7ger can better explain it.

and as for the gas tank lever, we dont need to get a lock for the gas tank cover to avoid vandalism. but yes i have forgotten a couple of times to pull the lever.

mighty
    the 8g's you have to push the button EVERYTIME you turn the lights back on....or leaving them on for that matter.
    delo, you are lucky the fogs "remember" to come back on when you turn the key back on.......at least our 8g's remember to turn the lights back on

silver 8g es
    on the 8g, everytime your headlights turn off, you have to manually turn the fogs back on by pushing the button....so if you turn them off, then back on, you have to hit the button, if you turn your car off, then back on you have to hit the button....you have to hit it everytime....if you have them wired up like the 7g, you don't have to hit the button.

Dustin