The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G - Problem with dead pedal?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Sammy_ES

8G - Problem with dead pedal?

Anyone have any problems with their dead pedal (the pedal where you keep your left foot if youre driving an automatic)? The first day I drove my car off the lot, I put my foot on the dead pedal, and the top screw popped out. Its a plastic push-on screw.

I just had the dealer "fix" it, got in the car and the same thing happened.

Is this a poor design? Or do I just have a retarded left foot?
    :retard:

mjc1055
    Duct tape it.

The lower bolt is probably not tightened or the cap is defective. If the lower bolt is tighter than the upper one it will cause the pedal to be uneven and pop the top cap. I found this out after I installed my aluminum pedals.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

mighty
    I have the exact same problem.......I am going to leave it off, because I get tired of popping it back down in

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    i got my car brand new in '01. it started doing that about 6 - 8 months ago. i guess its a defect or normal wear and tear <----whatever to that last part. i get tired of hearing that kinda ish from the dealership.......sorry, ..ranting.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

Sammy_ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>The lower bolt is probably not tightened or the cap is defective. If the lower bolt is tighter than the upper one it will cause the pedal to be uneven and pop the top cap. I found this out after I installed my aluminum pedals.</div>

Is there an after-market alternative for the dead pedal? Send links if you have em.

Moosh
    Go to the store, buy epoxy, and epoxy everything together. It will NEVER break again. Just make sure you do a nice clean job.

Sammy_ES
    OK, I fixed this problem today. When I took the pedal off, I saw that the top hole actually has a bottom to it that you can tighten a nut against (hard to explain, take yours off and look at it, you'll see what I mean).

I went to the hardware store, bought 2 washers, one lock washer, and one 6mm nut.

Put one washer on the top bolt, put the dead pedal in place over the bolt, put the other washer on, then the lock washer, then the nut. Tighten the nut with a 10mm socket. Put the pedal's bottom bolt in with a phillips screw driver.

Total cost of repair = $0.26

I guess Mitsubishi was trying to keep costs down, so they used a ghetto ass plastic nut cap instead. I would have gladly paid the extra 26ยข for the car.