The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Belt and Pulley questions

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    NewBee

Belt and Pulley questions

Hey Gents.

I know very little about cars, and my 96 Galant is the first Japanese car I have ever owned.

I was replacing my belts for the past few days and had a question I thought you would be able help me with.

The belts are changed and the car is running fine, but something was odd to me, the bottom most pulley (uses both AC and the Generator) slides side to side very easy. Is it supposed to do this? As much as I could tell the piece was in correctly.

If it is in correctly is there a reason why the pulley can move so easily?

Thanks for whatever information you can give me.

NewBee

nme7
    I believe that bottom most pulley is about to break. Mine went bad on me, threw the ac belt off slight and started damaging the lower timing belt cover. I was lucky nothing broke inside the engine. I think Manybrews said that the rubber part in the middle of the pulley starts to deteriorate and eventually the pulley will fail. Get it replaced before it does some damage.

Dark7GHawk
    So thats what happened to mine, my pulley doesnt even connect to the compressor anymore. It just sits there doing nothing, now the A/C doesnt work and the pulley rattles a lot.

GalantSpeed
    dude it's your harmonic balancer or "crank pulley" get that shit fixed before it falls off. you can change it yourself i did mine and its very easy, mine seperated while driving, and all my belts broke, car died and it was raining.....not cool, but fix it soon...

Dark7GHawk
    Was this on a 4g64 though.

Mine has already died, though mine did not have any internal problems because the valvetrain is run by a chain I beleive, either way, now the only thing that bothers me is the rattle of the loose compressor pulley since there is no belt on it.

GalantSpeed
    yeah it was on the 64, if your AC doesnt work take the compressor off...

Dark7GHawk
    Can that be done easily? Anything I should know before I do?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark7GHawk
    Was this on a 4g64 though.

Mine has already died, though mine did not have any internal problems because the valvetrain is run by a chain I beleive, either way, now the only thing that bothers me is the rattle of the loose compressor pulley since there is no belt on it.
    By a chain?? on a 4g64 or a 4g63?? Its a ruber belt!

If your harmonic balancer fails your DRIVE belts will rip or fall off, not your timing belt. Your car will shut down because the alternator won't be spinning anymore because of the missing drive belt.

Im not sure on the A/C system but I dont think its as simple as just removing the compressor, Don't you have to suck out the refrigerant from the system first or the shit will exlpode out in ur face?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Dark7GHawk
    When I looked under my hood the belts were all there. My car died becuase of something else, the mechanic called it a crank sensor, since it wasn't working my ECM wouldn't allow spark, and therefore, no go.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark7GHawk
    When I looked under my hood the belts were all there. My car died becuase of something else, the mechanic called it a crank sensor, since it wasn't working my ECM wouldn't allow spark, and therefore, no go.
    Yep that'll stop the car. But that sensor is in a very protected spot, I dont think the sensor failure had anything to do with harmonic balancer seperating...they probably just noticed the HB was on its way out while they were going in to fix the sensor.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Dark7GHawk
    Yeah, they did a lot of stuff while they were in there too. $1400 worth

But after spending $5000 total so far and having a nice GS 5spd to mod in the future, I am pretty happy.

Experienced TGC Member
    Thats a rare car...If I had that I'd be happy too!
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

polarduke

My A/C pulley just busted today too!!

Horrible noise coming from a/c pulley, then I noticed it was skewed and coming off and the belt turning it was causing the pulley to touch the side of the engine compartment. But the A/C is still blowing cold - just had a used compressor (not rebuilt) put on less than 2 mos ago (the pulley is from the old unit). I had to cut the a/c belt off to drive the car to work.

My question is - can you just get a new pulley assembly and replace it without having to change the compressor? What do the parts/labor run for this kind of job?

Please reposond ASAP as I need to go to Miami tomorrow and if I can get it fixed, I won't have to rent a car...

Thanks,
    Jeff :cry: