The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil in the coolant?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Oil in the coolant?

I was checking my fluids like i do once a week and i look at my coolant and its not greenish like it normally is, almost brownish, so i open it up and it seemed to smell and look like oil in there? Could that possibly happen? And if so what happened? Whats the recommended course of action. 2002 ES I4 by the way.

Thanks,
    mike
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Flush the whole system, thats the only possibly remedy for it all..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Sammy_ES
    I'm thinking you could have some kind of crack in your block or head. Might be a gasket problem too, like head gasket. (I'm not a mechanic).

Think could already be something that major on an 02 with 22k miles on it?

Thanks,
    mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike969mb)</div><div class='quotemain'>Think could already be something that major on an 02 with 22k miles on it?

Thanks,
    mike</div>
    no.

there are no mechanical failures on these engines, unless youve overheated it so badly that you have caused a failure.

no other possible explainations?

just flush your cooling system

Re: Oil in the coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by mike969mb
    I was checking my fluids like i do once a week and i look at my coolant and its not greenish like it normally is, almost brownish, so i open it up and it seemed to smell and look like oil in there? Could that possibly happen? And if so what happened? Whats the recommended course of action. 2002 ES I4 by the way.

Thanks,
    mike
    ruh-roh reorge. That's a blown head gasket, at the very least. Unless you've been pouring cold water on your hot engine, you most likely don't have anything worse, though. To all you guys who said "just flush your coolant," BAD advice. It'll show up the next day, and you're just prolonging a BAD problem. Get it fixed asap.

Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    ruh-roh reorge. That's a blown head gasket, at the very least. Unless you've been pouring cold water on your hot engine, you most likely don't have anything worse, though. To all you guys who said "just flush your coolant," BAD advice. It'll show up the next day, and you're just prolonging a BAD problem. Get it fixed asap.
    nah.

unless its been overheated, these cars neither damage heads or gaskets.
    youll find the same light goo floating on the surface of any mitsu overflow tank.

could it happen? sure. less than one in a million chance, though.

edit

Thanks, for all the help guys, I hope its not a blown gasket, only once and a while i might push my car a lil hard but only for a few moments, like a quick take off once and a while at work. I need to check and see if there is any goo floating on top, if not oil what could it be, thats go it all brown? Rust? I'm clueless. Thanks guys. I'd have it check but i have no days off of work that i don't have school all day so, trying to get it taken care of asap.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    nah.

unless its been overheated, these cars neither damage heads or gaskets.
    youll find the same light goo floating on the surface of any mitsu overflow tank.

could it happen? sure. less than one in a million chance, though.
    Manybrews...Any chance it could be a ruptured tranny oil cooler since that's in the radiator? Just a thought. We had a similar problem on an old volvo and it was caused by the front of the radiator getting clogged with bugs and dirt and overheating. I agree it's probably not a gasket since he didn't report coolant in the oil which is a sure sign of a blown or leaking gasket.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Manybrews...Any chance it could be a ruptured tranny oil cooler since that's in the radiator? Just a thought. We had a similar problem on an old volvo and it was caused by the front of the radiator getting clogged with bugs and dirt and overheating. I agree it's probably not a gasket since he didn't report coolant in the oil which is a sure sign of a blown or leaking gasket.</div>
    doubtful.
    in 11 years, the only issues weve EVER had with trans coolers was covered under a recall (01 monteros supposedly had a few internal cooler leaks).
    and if it were, your trans would be the first thing to go. trannies dont last long with coolant in them.
    seriously, you wont find a used mitsu that doesnt have a light amount of "scum" floating on top of the coolant. its nothing. probably more from combinations of various chemicals and metals than anything else.
    head gaskets have NEVER been an issue on mitsus, and the engines will last forever provided you dont overheat them and maintain them properly.

so manybrews, do you just recommend just a flush and fill with some new clean coolant? and if the problem comes back look into it more or what?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.