The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rattling noise in dash

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    tdigiulio

Rattling noise in dash

Was wondering if anyone had a similiar problem. I have a 99 Galant, and there is an annoying rattling noise in my dash right near the defrost vents. It sounds like a small piece of plastic rattling against another piece of plastic. It is most noticeable at highway speeds and it seems to quiet down when I have the heat on. Is there any tricks to stop dash noise without taking the whole dash out?

99mitsuracer
    yeah man i seem to have the same problem only at highway speeds and with the heat on it stops....someone help us...

Have either of you checked the glovebox latch? That's a known source of rattling, and it is located right over the blower fan motor, which could explain why it stops with the heat on. Just a suggestion.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

99mitsuracer
    Thanks alot man, I'll definitely look into that. IM me if u get a chance to talk. Mike

Layton
    The glove box is one of two problems on '99s dash.

I haven't opened up my dash beyond the gauges, but if I stick a small wedge between the dash and defrost vent, my rattle/vibration goes away. Like I said, I haven't been far enough into my dash, but it looks like the defrost ducting wasn't attached tight enough to the dash. Maybe I'll get ambitious this winter and permanently fix it. If your car is like mine, it will go away during the summer.