The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galant Shakes and Drifts

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    cubanito_007

Galant Shakes and Drifts

Hi I had a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I’ve tried going to mechanics but they all give me the run around and nothing gets fixed. I own a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES. When I’m on the highway and hit about 70 mph and up it tends to drift to the left and also the steering wheel shakes, not only the steering wheel but I have also noticed shake in the glove department and areas in the front. I have had an alignment done and it still happens. What do you think this could be?

Steve

The 99 Galant
    i got the same problem too with my 99. I think it might be the bushing in the engine bay or the something like that. My car doesn't drift anymore but it does shake.

Alignment and camber problems possibly. I have 02 Es and it happened to me with the shaking stering wheel camber correction fixed it.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

BlueESV6
    That almost sounds dangerous. Did you get the wheels balanced? I did not see that mentioned. I'd take it to a dealer and have them make some calls until it's fixed! Sounds like this is happening to more than one person and Mitsu needs to get soemone on that to fix it!! (or refund your money)

Let us know if the mechanic fixes it!

SexyGalant2000
    Yea i have the same problem with the shaking. Good its not only me. i thought maybe it was the tires, so i got new ones, but that didnt help eitha. Keep me posted on what it is!!!

cubanito_007
    I finally got my car to stop shaking and drifiting. It turns out that I need two new back tires and I had the car balanced. Luckly it wasn't anything else that was really expensive.

chiz3
    Have the exact same problem. My 99 GTZ, shakes when applying the brake (2 mech. told me rotors are fine.), and it drifts BOTH ways on the highway. Had 2 new tires put on and had them re-balanced,and had car aligned! What the hell is going on? Probably end up going to the dealer,closet one is 40min away.oh well.

cubanito_007
    My car still has a slight drift in it. the shaking did stop though. I hope it doesnt come back out of nowhere because it seems like everyone has this problem and its not the tires. There are two other problems I have though that im wondering if any other people have or know how to fix. I had my brakes checked out twice and they told me they are fine. But when i brake they keep squeking. Its really annoying cuz everyone looks at the car when i stop. What can it be? Also when i have my heat on for a while and im playing music ive noticed that my cd's get really hot in my cd player. Do I have it connected wrong or something or does the heat in the galant tend to hit the cd player?

That only happens to me when it rains or I have just washed my car. I don't know why it would persist like yours has.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

I got a 7g and it drifts when i get around 70 but most of my suspension bushings are shot. And it was drifting before i put my coilovers in. Hey i see it as a lil adventure :shock:
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

BluFalcon
    My 99 GTZ has the shakes as well at highway cruising speeds. I'm installing new wheels and tires within the week. Hopefully new wheels and tires with a fresh balance on them will cure some of this. If it doesn't, i suppose I'll take it and get it aligned.

BluFalcon
    Installed new wheels and tires with a fresh balance on them. Seems to have cured about 90% of the problem. Im happy now.

ragingduck
    i had teh same problem last year. Got an alignment and a balance and it went away for 2 months. Came back, but not as bad... got another alignment and balance and it went away again.

meadow22
    My brakes squeak constantly when I brake. I also have taken the car to mitsubishi like 4 times for the same problem. They tell me they fixed it, but it still does it all the time. It is so annoying, but I don't know what else to do. they once told me that it was a default and that they had to order me a certain part. I went back like a week later and they said the default wasn't for my year car which is an 01. Then of course they gave me the run around and still to this day it isnt fixed!