The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: trying to see the difference in 215 & 225 tire size for

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar

trying to see the difference in 215 & 225 tire size for

So i was doing the tire calculations thing from the miata site and i was trying to see the difference between getting 215 or 225. how there is a used wheel i want at an awesome price and the wheel it comes with is 215 pirrellies p7000. so below is the diffence and most of the differnce is about .1 to .3 inches

Specification......215/40-18.....225/40-18
    Sidewall............3.4in.............3.5in
    Radius..............12.4in............12.5in
    Diameter...........24.8in...........25.1in
    Circumference...77.8in...........78.8in
    Revs/Mile..........814...............804
    Difference........-0.4%.............0.8%

Now on paper with such a small difference it does not look like the ride quality will be felt in a such a big way when you compare them both. But for people who have the 215 how is the ride quality? any input would be appreciated.

escoson
    you will be better off with the 225 simply because there is more "meat" on those tires and you wont have as much as a chance on bending a lip. i have had 215 and 225 but i am now currently using 235 and wouldnt change it.

(my rims are also 18")

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    i live in NYC i bent my stock rims and thats with stock tires. its only like 1/10 of inch difference if you hit a hole it will not make a difference

you guys do realized that the first number is the width of the tire and i think it it will really affect the pot whole situation or not. The second number deals with the profile of the tire, which is what you shouldbe more concerned about.

later,
    mike
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike969mb)</div><div class='quotemain'>you guys do realized that the first number is the width of the tire and i think it it will really affect the pot whole situation or not. The second number deals with the profile of the tire, which is what you shouldbe more concerned about.

later,
    mike</div>

well the first number does matter with the amount of meat you have for the sidewall because the second number isn't just the height of the profile. its some ratio between the width and the height of the sidewall. so even if the second number is the same, the profile would change if that first number changed.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

well, what you should be worried about is the profile, but really worry about the softness of the tire and the tire pressure related to the size...yes there is more meat on a tire that is 10mm wider, but when you put a couple thousand pounds on it, it really doesn't matter...you hit a pothole with either of them with a certain amount of force you are screwed!!

I live in NY also
    I got 225 40 18s
    I also managed to bend a lip on a whell...hitting a crater of a pot hole last year
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

225/45/17

Let me tell you about my situation, if it might help you at all. At 225 the tire follows the grooves in the road MUCH more.. at first I thought that maybe my Corvette's handling sucks, but after putting wider tires on the Galant, I can see it's a wide tire issue. The comfort is noticeably more harsh. When you drive around, you will feel more of the road but it will handle tighter and better. I'm at a 45 height, so you being at 40 height will even feel more stiff. Oh yeah, at a width of 225, your tires will not fit within the wheel well. Meaning it will stick OUT a little so if you're really low, you will hear a lot of rubbing of the tires and the fender.