The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Air FLow (Intake/Exhaust)

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Air FLow (Intake/Exhaust)

what's the rule of thumb when upgrading "air flow"? I've recently installed an AEM short ram intake, but my exhaust is completely stock. I've noticed sounds coming from under the car - the crackling and popping you hear when metal cools. That never happened before putting on the intake. A friend told me that the intake will probably kill the cat and I should have waited until I got the whole system replaced, is that true? I will be upgrading my exhaust system shortly, but I'm curious to know what will happen if it's left as is.

BTW, who makes and exhaust system for our car?

TIA

i've had an intake on my car for well over 3 years, none of my cats were replace because of failure. my two pre cats were replace because of damage from an accident but my main cat has been teh same since day one.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

is there a difference between the I4 and V6 exhaust?

your cat will be fine, i don't know what gave your friend that idea.

An intake provides a minimal increase in airflow. You ECU will be more than able to compensate for it with very slightly increased fuel flow.

As for the crackling and popping...your exhaust may be hotter than it was before you put the intake on, but it shouldn't be that much different. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Don't worry about upgrading exhaust, you'll be fine with just an intake, considering it is SUCH a minimal increase. When you start getting into intake manifold upgrade and headwork and are still on stock exhaust, then you'd start to have power issues due to the inability of the motor to evacuate the extra exhaust gases as effectively.

thanx for the info scootinintegra! I had assumed that extra heat was the reason for the sounds, just wanted to make sure.