The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: to change transmission filter or not?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    kutsyy

to change transmission filter or not?

Well, I have 50+K on my '99 V6 auto, and it is time to change transmission fluid. Mitsubishi doesn't require to have filter change, and my local dealer doesn't change filter without special request.

So I was wondering if people change filter on auto, or just fluid?

PS: I am thinking about using redline, anyone used there transmission oil before?

Thanks,

since you have a 99, that would mean you have that external filter. it looks like an oil filter.

i'd change the filter. its just an extra step and the filter doesn't cost too much anyways...

for the internal filter, well, i wouldn't change that unless there was something seriously wrong with my tranny since changing the internal filter owuld mean taking part of the tranny apart.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

kutsyy
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>since you have a 99, that would mean you have that external filter. it looks like an oil filter</div>

Are you positive that 99 V6 has external filter?

Thanks,

yep........should be under your air filter box, and look like a spin on oil filter. If I'm not mistaken, the 2000 and up Galants discontinued using the spin on filters and went just with the internal filter.

kutsyy
    Just confirmed this with dealer, and you guys are absolutly correct, so this removes my question.

THanks,

PS: I am used to manual and I didn't even know that automatic can have filter outsite the transmition.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(suprdav2)</div><div class='quotemain'>yep........should be under your air filter box, and look like a spin on oil filter. If I'm not mistaken, the 2000 and up Galants discontinued using the spin on filters and went just with the internal filter.</div>

really? i thought i noticed an external filter in my engine bay. ill check again.

Bringing this back from the dead, anyone know the Part # for the external filter on the 99? I can't find it anywhere locally.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Bringing this back from the dead, anyone know the Part # for the external filter on the 99? I can't find it anywhere locally.

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com

Type filter under the mechanical search. This will bring up different results. Look for transaxle automatic - 1999

This will be what you're looking for. Use discount code GTuners when checking out =)

You can also go to www.rockauto.com
    They have one available there under auto transmission under 1999 galant 2.4L
    Last edited by keith6110; 11-01-2010 at 10:30 PM

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

If you have a local CarQuest Auto Parts, the part number is 96067 :)
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Its under maintenance and lubrication

Alternator
    Automatic transaxle
    Body hardware
    Brakes
    Clutch
    Cooling system
    Electrical
    Emission system
    Engine
    Exhaust system
    Front drive axle
    Front suspension
    Fuel system
    Hvac
    Maintenance & lubrication
    --->Engine service
    ------>Transaxle
    ------>Automatic transaxle
    ---------->Filter
    Manual transaxle
    Rear suspension
    Starter
    Steering
    Steering column

Filter, galant, external 1999 MSRP$18.87 ACTUAL COST$14.29

you wont get a part number till after you pay when it gives you an electronic receipt
    Last edited by jubeiaire; 11-01-2010 at 11:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by suprdav2 View Post
    yep........should be under your air filter box, and look like a spin on oil filter. If I'm not mistaken, the 2000 and up Galants discontinued using the spin on filters and went just with the internal filter.
    So THAT'S why I don't have one... ALLDATA sucks sometimes.
    -Andrew

Wasnt alldatas fault, DOT changed the rules regarding exposed tranny filters for 2k+ released cars. But blame alldata anyways cause they screw up enough stuff they can use the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    Wasnt alldatas fault, DOT changed the rules regarding exposed tranny filters for 2k+ released cars. But blame alldata anyways cause they screw up enough stuff they can use the abuse.
    Yeah it's easier to blame them rather than the DOT. But DOT sucks too, they don't know how to fix these damn roads. What changed? My tranny has the spot for it, but it wasn't punched for the filter... Hmmm
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by thedrewbert View Post
    Yeah it's easier to blame them rather than the DOT. But DOT sucks too, they don't know how to fix these damn roads. What changed? My tranny has the spot for it, but it wasn't punched for the filter... Hmmm
    Because it was more cost-effective to keep the same case but not punch the holes rather than redesigning a case without the mounting base for the filter. My brother's '01 was the same way.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Because it was more cost-effective to keep the same case but not punch the holes rather than redesigning a case without the mounting base for the filter. My brother's '01 was the same way.
    Definitely makes sense... Doesn't that create a "weak" spot in the case? It doesn't affect the tranny's performance, right?
    -Andrew

Thanks for the prompt responses guys!!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by thedrewbert View Post
    Definitely makes sense... Doesn't that create a "weak" spot in the case? It doesn't affect the tranny's performance, right?
    depends on how thick the threadplug is. usually the thread plug is about 1/2- 1 inch think befor they thread/drill it.

No prob Greddy. that will be $11.95prh
    x 3hrs
    x 8 post
    = $00.35
    Dont question my math just send us our money....................