PDA

View Full Version : Installed my Injen CAI

Alexey
11-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Finally! I put on my Injen short ram! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif The reason I didn't put the RD is because I don't think it'd be a good idea here in Louisiana, esp. when it rains, it does pour here and I don't wanna take a chance... Did I mention that I love the way it sounds now ? I didn't really change out the exhaust, well, except for a racing muffler, but I'm really debating on doing a custom catback. One of my friends has an eclipse and he did it on his. By the way, he makes those for living. To make a long story short, I'll probably get that done in the next week or two. So, any suggestions on the catback ? Word of advice will help too. Thanks 8)

BiGSHUN
11-14-2003, 04:52 PM
you have a 6 or i4? if you have a 6, get duals. also, you can have a CAI in the rain. i've kept my CAI on in the rainiest conditions and the filter was still dry, except for a little water that splashed on it. no harm done. the only thing you have to worry about w/ a CAI is submerging it in water..otherwise, you're cool.

Alexey
11-14-2003, 09:36 PM
I got a I4, so no duals here...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BiGSHUN)</div><div class='quotemain'>the only thing you have to worry about w/ a CAI is submerging it in water..otherwise, you're cool.</div>
some roads flood here sometimes, so like i said, not willing to take a chance, besides, is it really worth it ? there's not that much difference in gains. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

BiGSHUN
11-18-2003, 09:23 AM
i've found a big difference in gains. the only time i'll change mine to warm air is if i absolutely have to. when i punch it w/ the CAI, it gets up so much quicker as opposed to warm air, it takes a while. plus the CAI sounds a lot better.

but considering your conditions (like you said) i guess WAI is best for ya.

BXNYMitsu01
11-18-2003, 09:30 AM
CAI is much better than WAI.

J Reezy
11-20-2003, 09:55 AM
So, are yall saying if you live in a state that rains alot CAI is not the ting to go for? I just wanted to know moer info on the whole water thing and should a short Ram be better?

Alexey
11-20-2003, 10:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J Reezy)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, are yall saying if you live in a state that rains alot CAI is not the ting to go for? I just wanted to know moer info on the whole water thing and should a short Ram be better?</div>

Read Bigshun's reply on this one.

BiGSHUN
11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
thanks Alexey...

cons to having a CAI - you can't drive in puddles that will submerge your bumper in water up to your fog lights. if i'm ever in condtions like that...i just won't drive.

pinoyesv6
11-20-2003, 12:32 PM
if you are really worried about sucking in water while just driving in thru normal rain, get the k&n drycharger. its like a lil jacket that goes over the air filter. it repels water while at the same time, it still lets air in. dunking the filter, thats a different story.

horace_the_evil_appendix
11-20-2003, 08:05 PM
trust me its not worth it, i live in louisiana and one of my friends just spent a couple of grand to replace his b16 that he had just purchased b/c he had a cai and he sucked water into his engine...kablamo thats the end of that! i mean cmon half this state is below sea level anyway, just a few inches of rain and were neck deep, not to mention all the nice huge potholes that stay full of water year round https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Alexey
11-20-2003, 10:06 PM
trust me its not worth it, i live in louisiana and one of my friends just spent a couple of grand to replace his b16 that he had just purchased b/c he had a cai and he sucked water into his engine...kablamo thats the end of that! i mean cmon half this state is below sea level anyway, just a few inches of rain and were neck deep, not to mention all the nice huge potholes that stay full of water year round https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
... Exactly my point. I know someone who went thru the same problem before, so that's another reason I decided not to go with RD. And if I ever move, it's not a problem to get just the long neck to extend my WAI. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
By the way, are you from Covington ? What gen. G do you have ?

horace_the_evil_appendix
11-20-2003, 10:31 PM
yeah im in covington and ive got an 8th gen es v6 no mods yet cuz money has been tight however i do have a nice big scratch in my fender from sumone who was nice enough to hit me in a parking lot and then duck out

Elwenil
11-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Covington? I didn't know Louisiana had a Covington. I knew Va, Ga, and Ky, but not La. Anyway, I just installed my AEM short ram. Took me about 20 mins, and I never had to unhook the battery. I know they tell you too, but I don't have the radio code for my stereo, so I didn't want to take the chance. I never even unplugged the MAS, I just left it hanging in the engine compartment. I must say that I fail to see much difference in a short ram and a long ram. I thought my intake would be, well, shorter. This damn thing goes all the way down to my horn under the bumper. WTF does the long ram do, drag the ground? Anyway I did it, and I love it. The sound is awesome, and I did feel a bit more pick up in the higher RPM range. I didn't think I'd really be able to tell a difference, but I guess with the CAI and my muffler, there would be a little change. Anyway, the instructions went pretty good with my AEM, even though they were for the Eclipse, I did have to swap the elbow around where the intake meets the throttle body to get the intake tube to fit against the engine better, but all in all a good fit. Now I have to find out WTF kind of intake Vic has. That thing is super short, and I actually thought that was what I was getting. Hmmm, maybe I'll cut mine down... :biggrin:

Fishboy55
11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Covington? I didn't know Louisiana had a Covington. I knew Va, Ga, and Ky, but not La. Anyway, I just installed my AEM short ram. Took me about 20 mins, and I never had to unhook the battery. I know they tell you too, but I don't have the radio code for my stereo, so I didn't want to take the chance. I never even unplugged the MAS, I just left it hanging in the engine compartment. I must say that I fail to see much difference in a short ram and a long ram. I thought my intake would be, well, shorter. This damn thing goes all the way down to my horn under the bumper. WTF does the long ram do, drag the ground? Anyway I did it, and I love it. The sound is awesome, and I did feel a bit more pick up in the higher RPM range. I didn't think I'd really be able to tell a difference, but I guess with the CAI and my muffler, there would be a little change. Anyway, the instructions went pretty good with my AEM, even though they were for the Eclipse, I did have to swap the elbow around where the intake meets the throttle body to get the intake tube to fit against the engine better, but all in all a good fit. Now I have to find out WTF kind of intake Vic has. That thing is super short, and I actually thought that was what I was getting. Hmmm, maybe I'll cut mine down... :biggrin: Lanty, Congrats on the intake install. Vic has the AEM short ram made for the Eclipse V6. That may be why his is shorter than yours. I know, because he bought my old one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Elwenil
11-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Lanty, Congrats on the intake install. Vic has the AEM short ram made for the Eclipse V6. That may be why his is shorter than yours. I know, because he bought my old one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Thanks, Chip. (See guys, Chip can pronounce and even spell my name right! :biggrin: ) I thought I remembered you saying that Vic's intake was passed around a bit. I kinda thought that is what I was buying, but I'm pretty happy with the one I got. It sounds great, but it's a little loud. I guess it'll take some getting used to. But it went on fine, and I had time to install my LED neon. (go ahead and laugh :wink: ) Neon install went real well too. Now I'm off to wash her... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Alexey
12-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Just to prove my point, sometimes about a week ago or so when it rained hard here, one of my friends killed his eclipse... Somehow his RD sucked in water into the engine and he was stalled on the side of the road until the towing truck came to get his ride... He's looking at some engines now :?

titanium02
12-04-2003, 11:08 AM
For small power gain from CAI and WAI, I'll go with the safe one. I'm glad I just bought a short ram.

oscar the boxer
01-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Nice to see some louisiana peeps, I Live in BR but travel to Covington a lot.. .