PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the coolant?

mike969mb
11-15-2003, 09:46 PM
I was checking my fluids like i do once a week and i look at my coolant and its not greenish like it normally is, almost brownish, so i open it up and it seemed to smell and look like oil in there? Could that possibly happen? And if so what happened? Whats the recommended course of action. 2002 ES I4 by the way.

Thanks,
mike

HeadAche
11-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Flush the whole system, thats the only possibly remedy for it all..

Sammy_ES
11-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking you could have some kind of crack in your block or head. Might be a gasket problem too, like head gasket. (I'm not a mechanic).

mike969mb
11-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Think could already be something that major on an 02 with 22k miles on it?

Thanks,
mike

manybrews
11-16-2003, 01:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike969mb)</div><div class='quotemain'>Think could already be something that major on an 02 with 22k miles on it?

Thanks,
mike</div>
no.

there are no mechanical failures on these engines, unless youve overheated it so badly that you have caused a failure.

mike969mb
11-16-2003, 09:37 AM
no other possible explainations?

Coldshot
11-16-2003, 05:43 PM
just flush your cooling system

Faction
11-16-2003, 05:47 PM
http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23684 ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23684')

11-16-2003, 10:02 PM
I was checking my fluids like i do once a week and i look at my coolant and its not greenish like it normally is, almost brownish, so i open it up and it seemed to smell and look like oil in there? Could that possibly happen? And if so what happened? Whats the recommended course of action. 2002 ES I4 by the way.

Thanks,
mike
ruh-roh reorge. That's a blown head gasket, at the very least. Unless you've been pouring cold water on your hot engine, you most likely don't have anything worse, though. To all you guys who said "just flush your coolant," BAD advice. It'll show up the next day, and you're just prolonging a BAD problem. Get it fixed asap.

manybrews
11-17-2003, 09:51 PM
ruh-roh reorge. That's a blown head gasket, at the very least. Unless you've been pouring cold water on your hot engine, you most likely don't have anything worse, though. To all you guys who said "just flush your coolant," BAD advice. It'll show up the next day, and you're just prolonging a BAD problem. Get it fixed asap.
nah.

unless its been overheated, these cars neither damage heads or gaskets.
youll find the same light goo floating on the surface of any mitsu overflow tank.

could it happen? sure. less than one in a million chance, though.

mike969mb
11-17-2003, 10:26 PM
edit

mike969mb
11-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks, for all the help guys, I hope its not a blown gasket, only once and a while i might push my car a lil hard but only for a few moments, like a quick take off once and a while at work. I need to check and see if there is any goo floating on top, if not oil what could it be, thats go it all brown? Rust? I'm clueless. Thanks guys. I'd have it check but i have no days off of work that i don't have school all day so, trying to get it taken care of asap.

Fishboy55
11-18-2003, 02:50 AM
nah.

unless its been overheated, these cars neither damage heads or gaskets.
youll find the same light goo floating on the surface of any mitsu overflow tank.

could it happen? sure. less than one in a million chance, though.

Manybrews...Any chance it could be a ruptured tranny oil cooler since that's in the radiator? Just a thought. We had a similar problem on an old volvo and it was caused by the front of the radiator getting clogged with bugs and dirt and overheating. I agree it's probably not a gasket since he didn't report coolant in the oil which is a sure sign of a blown or leaking gasket.

manybrews
11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Manybrews...Any chance it could be a ruptured tranny oil cooler since that's in the radiator? Just a thought. We had a similar problem on an old volvo and it was caused by the front of the radiator getting clogged with bugs and dirt and overheating. I agree it's probably not a gasket since he didn't report coolant in the oil which is a sure sign of a blown or leaking gasket.</div>
doubtful.
in 11 years, the only issues weve EVER had with trans coolers was covered under a recall (01 monteros supposedly had a few internal cooler leaks).
and if it were, your trans would be the first thing to go. trannies dont last long with coolant in them.
seriously, you wont find a used mitsu that doesnt have a light amount of "scum" floating on top of the coolant. its nothing. probably more from combinations of various chemicals and metals than anything else.
head gaskets have NEVER been an issue on mitsus, and the engines will last forever provided you dont overheat them and maintain them properly.

pinoyesv6
11-19-2003, 05:59 PM
so manybrews, do you just recommend just a flush and fill with some new clean coolant? and if the problem comes back look into it more or what?