PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt experience

jluv97
11-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I went to Car-x to have my timing belt changed ($367), when I got my car back I noticed a drip of oil (my car never leaked before). I took it back in their shop today and they are presently fixing it. They told me that they weren't sure if it was related to the repair they had done, but it was leaking in the area that they were working on (under the Timing belt cover). They also added a quart of oil to my car yesterday, unfortunately they used a natural oil and I only run synthetics. Does anyone have any clue if this could be a result of mixing blends? I did some research and nobody (on-line) said anything about side effects of mixing, but the look on the shop managers face when I told him I only use synthetic said different.

Moosh
11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Don't worry you can mix synthetics.

As far as the leaking oil I bet what they did was not bolt the timing belt tensioner all the way in or some other thing that goes to an oil galley. Rob just had the same exact problem and it was an easy fix

JiP
11-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Yes sir...the bolts for the timing belt tensioner go into oil gallies. If they arent tight oil will leak right out from between the threads. I had oil POURING out. Tighten those bolts down and the oil is gone thank god. Lost a quart of oil in less then 10 minutes.

jluv97
11-19-2003, 07:59 AM
You guys were correct. It was the bolt from the belt tensioniser. Thanks.

IllestGalant
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
one word "Dealership"
those hack side garage mechanics always leave out shit
one more word "duhhhhhhhh"