PDA

View Full Version : Brakes making me ANGRY!

BlueESV6
11-19-2003, 08:36 PM
I went to the dealership and basically laid it out there asking what I could do to fix the shaking/braking problem. Bought the crossdrilled and now the shaking is back after about 15,000 miles. It had fixed it for a while but I had also not been driving it very regulalrly.

Told the service guy I was willing to replace whatever it took to fix this problem. His answer was... it can't be fixed! This really sucks! I'm about fed up with the piss poor engineering of the steering/braking!!

Has ANYONE upgraded to an aftermarket brake/caliper set and fixed the shaking/braking problem??

Has anyone heard of some sort of a heat sink which could be attached between the rotor and the wheel??

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?? Like dimpled or slotted rotors working better???

Frankly between the timing belt change around $1100 and this rotor/ steering wheel shaking crap I'm about tired of this pig! :x (sorry had to vent)

If anyone has a handle on this problem I'm all ears! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

GalantGuy96
11-19-2003, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Brakes making me ANGRY!</div>
then just kick them in the BALLS!

jk....have u tried taking it to another mechanic? maybe that guy was a dumbass.

Auto-9
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
I've never had a brake problem with my 2001 ES V6. My 1999 ES 4 banger though had the judders. Don't know what to say other than to replace the entire brake system with I dunno, StopTech's kit. It replaces the line, caliper, pads, and rotors I believe. Other than that I dunno what else you could do.

Danger DANJ
11-20-2003, 12:35 PM
First of all, do you get the shudders all the time when driving or just when braking? Also, what kind of rotors did you get to replace the stock ones?

I had the shudder problem when braking on my '99 ES V6 and it all went away when I replaced the rotors with DBA cross drilled/slotted ones as well as replacing the stock pads with Axxis Metal Master pads. It could be that you warped the new rotors already.

BlueESV6
11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I bought powerstop crossdrilled April 2002. The shuttering went away until recently and likely the rotors are warped once again. I guess I got about maybe 15-20K miles out of the rotors before it warped.

The service man seems decent enough. He even gave me a cut rate price for the timing belt/ 60K mile servicing ($150 off). He seemed genuine with not knowing what will fix this problem.

It seems as if the steering is also part of this problem. I've never had another car (including my '92 Galant) that has had this many problems with brake vibration and vibration through the steering wheel in general.

I may look into upgrading the brakes or just resolving to buying new rotors every 15,000 miles.

Auto-9
Don't know what to say other than to replace the entire brake system with I dunno, StopTech's kit.

How is this brake upgrade? Do you like it on your car?

Auto-9
11-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Auto-9
Don't know what to say other than to replace the entire brake system with I dunno, StopTech's kit.

How is this brake upgrade? Do you like it on your car?

I personally don't have this setup, I have Powerslot Rotors all around, Porterfield pads up front and Metal Master pads in the rear with no problems. I have heard from Eclipse owners that have the kit though that it's the best thing that they've done. The rotors included are also guaranteed never to warp so I guess that's good. But it costs 2 grand.

BlueESV6
11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I am getting the infamous 60K tune up tomorrow and asked them to turn my rotors at the same time. I'll probably be getting something new over the summer. It will probably be some new rotors all the way around as I can't justify the cost of an upgrade right now. I may try the powerslot/ drilled and see if they last longer.

vr6
11-22-2003, 07:50 AM
i have a 7g jdm v6 quad cams.

the oem ventillated disc rotors for the front and rear sucks.

i upgraded the rotors to brembo with ebc pads. its fine now.

BlueESV6
11-22-2003, 08:28 PM
I saw that AEM makes an upgraded rotor for our cars with an extension for the OEM caliper. It costs $469 on autosalon.com. Says only fits 17' wheels or larger. Does anyone have this set up or heard anything good or bad about it? It sounds like a way to increase braking and have a beefier rotor (disperse heat better).

I wonder if this has that lifetime no warp guarantee?