PDA

View Full Version : DEALERSHIP DIAGNOSIS "Knuckle"

Jesse
09-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Just got a recal fixed on my Galant. I asked them to look over my rear suspension while at the recal and they said I need a "knuckle" replaced cuz I'm rubbing on the control arm.

Price quote "$400" including labor

Is this the same as a bushing? Something that can be done by me and a friend?

$400 is steep for an OEM part, of course dealer labor is mucho $$$.

If it is a bushing, I'll probably end up getting energy suspension kit.

Thanks guys
Jesse
95 Galant S

Kain
09-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Nope, a Knuckle is the hub assembly. It's not really something you can replace at home (well, I know you can't replace the front ones without some special tools, I don't really know about the rears) Yeah, I thought I was going to have to replace a front one on my car, cuz the stupid woman in the parts department told me they did not sell individual lug studs. I bought it, and it cost me $240 something. I'd have to look up the bill to give you the exact cost. Than I found out not only could I not replace the part myself, I only needed a $0.75 lug stud from NAPA. Anyway, It's a part about twice the size of your fist. And if not the dealership putting it in, some shop will have to put it in. And given the relatively small diffrences in labor, you'd probably be better off having it done at the dealership and getting a waranty.

manybrews
09-17-2002, 04:56 PM
cant get ANY bushing from the factory.. you need to get the whole knuckle.

unless you can find aftermarket suppliers, but even if you do, good luck replacing just the bushing.... its pressed in at the factory and its not designed to be replacable.

Mazarin
09-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Wait, if it's a recal, don't they have to fix it?

pinoyesv6
09-17-2002, 10:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mazarin)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wait, if it's a recal, don't they have to fix it?</div>

im assuming he did but while he was there he got the guys there to look @ the rear end and yea thats when they found about needing a new knuckle.

BIGLOU75
09-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Same here. I tried to get the bushing out myself, but that sumbitch is pressed in. I had to get the whole knuckle replaced at the garage. Mech tld me the bushing is done at the factory!

Kain
09-18-2002, 12:21 PM
You can replace the bushings, it's really not even that difficult. However, you do need a 1 ton press, a butane torch, and some lubricating catalyst like WD-40 (I actually like stuff called In-force, but people are more likely to be able to find WD-40) You have to burn out the old pieces, and take the new bushings and let them soak in the catalyst over night. Than using the press, they pop in relatively easy like magic. Places like dealerships don't mess with that, and always opt to just replace the whole part. Since the price diffrence is usually not that great, and the labor to replace just the bushings will bump the cost past that of the whole part. But, most suspension specialty shops can/will help you out. Especially if you go there with the part in hand, and new bushings already well soaked in catlyst.

rfpa1
09-27-2002, 08:58 AM
The knuckle, or rear hub assembly is easy to replace. You need to take 4 bolts out.

The Hub should cost around 70 for drum brakes, no abs or around 120 for abs.

It should take you at least 30 minutes. You do not need to remove the brake pads or anything as long as you do it carefully.

I did mine last night (9/26).

rfpa1
09-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Hi:

Sorry I still get confused. If is the knokle (see item 2 on this picture the price is around 130.) It take a little more time, but you can do it.

If is item #1 the is 30 minutes or less.

If I have to replace the Knucle. Then you might as well replace #1. Still I do not see how you will replace one with out the other I will think that you will damage the Hub before the knucle.

http://mflores.com/ebay/f702100.gif ('http://mflores.com/ebay/f702100.gif').

rfpa1
10-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Hi:

Did you fixed the problem. I asked my mechanic about the knucle and said that something else must be really bad to have to replace it. This is a solid piece and does not have anything in it that can really gets out of specs.

So, if you had it fixed, could you inform us on what they found.

By the way go to www.partsvoice.com good price and pictures.

manybrews
10-09-2002, 05:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfpa1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi:

Did you fixed the problem. Â* Â*I asked my mechanic about the knucle and said that something else must be really bad to have to replace it. Â*This is a solid piece and does not have anything in it that can really gets out of specs.

.</div>
your mechanic is wrong.
the bushings are pressed into the knuckle, and are not servicable (as far as mitsu is concerned anyway)