PDA

View Full Version : Light vibrations while stopped at light

Pimpster
11-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey All,
I have a 2003 GTZ, with less than 10 k miles on it. Lately I have noticed that when I have the car in D and stopped at a light... I can feel light vibrations in the steering wheel. If I put the car in N or P, it goes away. Its not bad to the extent where I could see the steering wheel vibrate, but I can surely feel it. This is something recently started and was wondering if anyone knew why this was hapening and how I could fix it.

Appreciate the help.

Faction
11-21-2003, 10:25 PM
i think thats normal

MN8Galant
11-21-2003, 10:36 PM
I don't know if it's normal... but I know mine does that and so does my cousins... his is an early 90's model... can't remember what year though...but mine does it a little more than a little.... it is extremely irritating... I'm glad somebody asked about this...

clone2020
11-22-2003, 02:26 PM
I think cars with 40k+ miles start to have the "vibrations at idle" problem. My 8G and my wife's Camry both vibrate occasionally at idle in drive. However, they do not vibrate at idle in neutral or park.

I think it's some kind of bushing, boot, motor mount, etc... (Plastic/Rubber/Silicone)

If the part in question kept the steering wheel from vibrating to begin with, then after a certain amount of time, it just deteriorates allowing the vibration to go through to the steering wheel.

Here's an interesting article on vibrations.
http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library...ering%20....pdf ('http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/adams/euro/1999/Wednesday_papers/Analysis%20and%20Control%20of%20Vehicle%20Steering %20....pdf')

-Mike.

Pimpster
11-22-2003, 03:20 PM
I was researching this problem, and people talk about replacing spark plugs, cleaning throttle body, having the wheels rotated and balanced and checking the Break Pads.... now I am wondering if I need to do all the above to fix this? I have seen this problem on cars with high mileage... like friend Hinda with 150k miles, and his steering wheel literally jumps around. Any other ideas suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
~Sam

pinoyesv6
11-23-2003, 03:11 PM
you only have 10k on a 2003 galant. if you really think its a problem, take it back to the dealer and try to get it fixed by the dealer.