PDA

View Full Version : I bought my Galant- AGAIN!

BlueESV6
11-22-2003, 08:39 PM
At least it feels like it! I am getting the 60K tune up and it feels like I'm buying the car all over again for what this is costing!!

I drove it 70K before getting cold feet (afraid belt was going to break) and scheduling to get the servicing. The one day service has turned into a 3 day service as they did not have the water pump on hand and had to get it from Atlanta.

So far we're at $1200 and counting. I'll feel good to get out of there with a working car and loss of only my first born https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif At least they are giving me a rental for $10 a day.

I am commited to this car now!! Be driving this to 2020 to get the $$ back out of it!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Auto-9
11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Just make sure they do everything right the first time :wink: I'm lucky...Gillman only charges $425 for the 60k service on a V6.

BlueESV6
11-27-2003, 01:56 PM
Well I got it back... Total was $1265 :shock:

This included a bunch of stuff.... tranny flush, coolant flush, plugs, water pump, t-belt, tensioner, other belts, some seals and turning my cross drilled rotors.

I feel much better about driving it and am not worried the belt is going to break anymore! Sure was a lot of $$ though....

Tiptronic
11-29-2003, 08:54 AM
i feel your pain. when i got my 60k (done at 75k) it cost me about the same thing

Elwenil
11-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Screw that! I can do all of that stuff myself, except the tranny flush, and I can get one of my local shops to do that for about $10 plus fluid. I can turn my own rotors at a shop here for free, and the rest is just basic mechanics. Maybe someone should do a tutorial with pics on this 60k mile service deal to show that most of it can be done with normal basic mechanical skills. They shouldn't be able to void your warranty for doing it yourself, and if so, just find a mechanic to write you a fake receipt for the work. I may be wrong, but I fail to see why it is neccessary for the dealer to have to do this. Just my .02

crazyc004
01-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Wow!! I am due for that one as well.... What exactly does the 60k mile maintenance include?

clone2020
01-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Most people can do the 60K Service themselves except replacing the Timing Belt.

The 60K MAINTENANCE INCLUDES...

REPLACE
-----------------------
Timing Belt
Water Pump (NOT mentioned in Service Manual)
Brake Pads
Spark Plugs & Wires
Air Filter

FLUSH & FILL
-----------------------
Oil w/Filter
Coolant
ATF (mitsu ATF only)

CHECK
-----------------------
Drive Belt (generator, water pump, power steering pump)
Brake hoses
Ball Joint & Steering linkage seals
Drive Shaft Boots
SRS Air Bags
Exhaust System
Rotate Tires

Note: Most people recommend replacing the Water Pump at the same time you replace your timing belt. The thinking behind it is, "If you already have everything disassembled, you might as well replace the water pump".

-Mike.

HeadAche
01-10-2004, 09:01 PM
If i had to pay that much for basic maintance i would stop tunning..

COgalant
01-11-2004, 01:39 AM
1200+...Damn that scrares me :cry:

crazyc004
01-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Can anyone recommend any good after market performance plugs / wires? Since I am going to go ahead and replace might as well do it.....

pinoyesv6
01-11-2004, 12:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyc004)</div><div class='quotemain'>Can anyone recommend any good after market performance plugs / wires? Since I am going to go ahead and replace might as well do it.....</div>

plugs, best bet is to go with the stock ones. just like the ones from the dealer. those tend to give the least problems

as for wires, magnecor

01-14-2004, 10:28 PM

This included a bunch of stuff.... tranny flush, coolant flush, plugs, water pump, t-belt, tensioner, other belts, some seals and turning my cross drilled rotors.

I feel much better about driving it and am not worried the belt is going to break anymore! Sure was a lot of $$ though....'
OK now....do you know how much you could have saved doing it yourself? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Tranny flush: $40 for oil. : 1 hour
Coolant Flush: $5 water pump gasket maker, $8 coolant: 1 hour
Water Pump: $100-200, Timing Belt: $60 or so, Tensioner: Like $30: Take you 6 hours, tops.
Drive belts: $40 : 1 hour
What seals did you get replaced?

Reelax
01-14-2004, 10:58 PM

I feel much better about driving it and am not worried the belt is going to break anymore! Sure was a lot of $$ though....'
OK now....do you know how much you could have saved doing it yourself? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Tranny flush: $40 for oil. : 1 hour
Coolant Flush: $5 water pump gasket maker, $8 coolant: 1 hour
Water Pump: $100-200, Timing Belt: $60 or so, Tensioner: Like $30: Take you 6 hours, tops.
Drive belts: $40 : 1 hour
What seals did you get replaced?

sorry, it's not that easy... the 6g72 is not easy to work on, hell the back 3 plugs are not accessible at all w/ removing the upper intake manifolds (that's allready a 2 hour job for removal and replacement). also the timing belts on mitsus are notoriously hard to adjust and install... i'd leave that to a tech any day since if it is wrong the engine basically will self destruct; mitsu engines are not forgiving when it comes to the timing belt.