PDA

View Full Version : 30k Service: Regular -vs- Severe - Transaxle Fluid?

Lane03
11-25-2003, 03:20 PM
It's time for me to get the 30k service done on my 4cy galant. Upon looking in the maintenance manual I noticed there are two schedules, one for regular and another for severe. The only difference between the two for the 30k service is changing the transaxle fluid or simply checking the fluid. It would cost $250 for the regular service (check transaxle fluid) and $350 for severe service (change transaxle fluid). So my question is this, is it worth the extra $100 to get the transaxle fluid changed? I don't really no much about mechanics, so don't know if this is really necesary?

pinoyesv6
11-25-2003, 03:26 PM
well first of all 100 dollars extra seems like a steal to me. especially since buying the fluid alone can cost 60-80 dollars at the dealer alone. i needed 10 quarts of tranny oil to change my fluid myself and with a coupon it ended up being 6.70 a quart.

but yea, when they do check your fluid, they can see waht kidna condition it is in. and if u need more. i see changing my tranny fluid like going to the doctors and peeing in the cup. when you change it, the mechanic can thoroughly look at the fluid and can possibly find problems with your transmission if any exist.

manybrews
11-25-2003, 09:27 PM
change the fluid, no questions asked.

Auto-9
11-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Change it. Just to give you an idea of how important it is, many manufacturers don't even wait every 30k for the service and recommend that you change it every 15k.

Fishboy55
11-26-2003, 09:28 AM
well first of all 100 dollars extra seems like a steal to me. especially since buying the fluid alone can cost 60-80 dollars at the dealer alone. i needed 10 quarts of tranny oil to change my fluid myself and with a coupon it ended up being 6.70 a quart.

but yea, when they do check your fluid, they can see waht kidna condition it is in. and if u need more. i see changing my tranny fluid like going to the doctors and peeing in the cup. when you change it, the mechanic can thoroughly look at the fluid and can possibly find problems with your transmission if any exist.

Unless I'm missing something, changing the transaxle fluid and flushing the transmission are two completely different jobs not done the same way.

Lane03
11-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Guess I'll spend the extra $100. Wont be too bad, since I found an old coupon for 15% off scheduled maintenance.

EDIT: Just called to make my appointment, it came to $300 + tax after the coupon for the full service. I just hope I have one of these 15% off coupons when it's time for the 60k service...

pinoyesv6
11-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Unless I'm missing something, changing the transaxle fluid and flushing the transmission are two completely different jobs not done the same way.

in the service manual, when you go to replace your transmission fluid, it asks for about 10 quarts of tranny fluid. of course our cars don't need that much tranny fluid but, in the process of changing it, you add fluid to the tranny to help push out or flush some of the older fluid out of the transmission.

now that service manual also has something about flushing the tranny oil cooler and the lines but thats a different thing.

Fishboy55
11-27-2003, 09:05 PM

in the service manual, when you go to replace your transmission fluid, it asks for about 10 quarts of tranny fluid. of course our cars don't need that much tranny fluid but, in the process of changing it, you add fluid to the tranny to help push out or flush some of the older fluid out of the transmission.

now that service manual also has something about flushing the tranny oil cooler and the lines but thats a different thing.
I don't think the transmission and the transaxle are the same component and I don't think you fill them from the same place.

Lane03
11-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Here's a question for everyone. When you took your car in for scheduled service, did they give you a loaner car?

Gilhuly
11-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I got a coupon for a tranny flush for $99 and consider it the first good deal they ever offered me for a full flush. You definitely want to change the fluid every 30 - the manual is wrong to suggest anything else.

pinoyesv6
11-29-2003, 11:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think the transmission and the transaxle are the same component and I don't think you fill them from the same place.</div>

tryna get technical here huh...

front wheel drive cars have what is called a transaxle. a transaxle is like a regular transmission but incorporates a differential. rear wheel drive cars have just transmissions. but many people use the word transmission instead of the word transaxle because it is a more common term.

so...to answer your second question yes you do add them at the same place. since the transmission is a part of the transaxle.