PDA

View Full Version : methanol & water injection

Faction
11-25-2003, 08:41 PM
above....

what is that used for and what does it do?

ken inn
11-25-2003, 08:57 PM
water injection absorbs heat, and slows down the burn time. it basically acts like an octane booster, and an intercooler. the effect of wi raises the octane number by about 6 points. so, 93 octane with wi is like running 99 octane. adding methanol enhances the effect of water injection. on a forced induction motor, a lot of the extra fuel needed at wot is for cooling. wi takes the place of the extra fuel. the added benefits of wi is cleaning. it will remove all of the carbon deposits off stuff like valves, pistons, the entire combustion chamber. this makes tuning very consistent, because you have no excess carbon buildup. adding methanol(i use denatured alcohol, which is methanol plus additives like acetone so if you drink it, you go blind) will make the cleaning even better. i have one of my wi nozzles right after the turbo, and downstream of the nozzle, everything is super clean. spark plugs stay so clean, you really cant read them. recently, i removed the plugs, and looked inside the combustion chambers with my bendalite, and the tops of the pistons looked brand new. after the car has been running a bit, the pipe coming off the turbo is very hot to the touch. i can rev the motor, engage the water injection, and you can feel the pipe get cold. not cool, COLD, in a matter of seconds. the entire intake tract gets cold, even the intake plenum. wi has dropped my egt's about 150 deg, and using wi, i tuned the injectors down(afc) from 87% at wot to 76%, knock went from 3 to 0, and timing went from 23 to 28(29 is max on a vr4)

11-26-2003, 12:10 AM
hmm...i know what the next project on the teg is now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

No but for real...this guy knows his shit. Water and methanol injection cool down the pressurized intake air, giving you the ability to gain gobs more power by way of timing, compression, etc etc etc.

Faction
11-26-2003, 08:43 PM
so when its just water injection...is it just regular water being injected? or is it mixed with something

11-27-2003, 12:47 AM
so when its just water injection...is it just regular water being injected? or is it mixed with something
yeah, it's just a very fine mist of water being injected.

ken inn
11-29-2003, 03:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>so when its just water injection...is it just regular water being injected? or is it mixed with something</div>

i use ONLY distilled water. in the winter i mix denatured alcohol to prevent freezing. the nozzles(aquamist) have really tiny openings, and will clog easily. i also have a filter inline.

ChikagoGTZ
11-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Do you have any pics of the system, and any links on where you got it....this sounds like something that alot of people would like to get into...is this any relation to propane injection?

Wolfman
11-29-2003, 05:20 PM
www.rippmods.com They offer them for our cars. Check them out. They make SC's but I think the WI can be interchangable.

VegasMatt
11-29-2003, 09:08 PM
I have the meth inject kit, but I have yet to install it. I was hoping to have it installed by this friday cuz its the last time the track will be open until March. It looks like I will have to wait until March to test it out.

Also if you order the meth kit from Ripp, be prepared to wait, because they have yet to supply me with theinstall directions, I have been waiting approx. four months for it and now i finally got it, i dont have the install instructions.