PDA

View Full Version : can't shift to first

asalem97
09-17-2002, 06:51 PM
i was putting my car into drive today and I noticed a little tightness. I decided to try shifting into other gears and i realized when I tried to go to first it would just pop back into second and was pushing foward to drive.
The car was warm and had been driven already during the day. Is this the tranny? I had my tranny rebuilt less than 3 months ago and it has been driving strong. Does anyone know what this is?

Kain
09-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Hmm, look under the hood. Sounds like something is pressing against the selector cable. Either that or it's bound up somewhere between the gear selector and the transmission. Alternately it could be something in the transmission itself. Though, I've never heard of anything like that before.

QnzMostWanted
09-17-2002, 07:24 PM
do ur RPM's jump to like 3k when u launch??? or not, if it does, it might be the computer

asalem97
09-17-2002, 07:38 PM
no my rpms dont jump at all but it is extremely possible that a cable is twisted or being pressed on because I just finished fabricating my diy cai. Does anyone know what cable this could be?

pinoyesv6
09-17-2002, 07:45 PM
also if u cna't find nothing under the hood, check under the gear selector. check the linkage there to see if dirt or anything has gotten in there and is keeping the knob or the linkage from moving

Kain
09-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Umm, the cable is pretty obvious. It comes out of the transmission and goes straight back through the firewall. It's on the top of the tranny, sorta near the front. It's got a wierd dial/selector thing on the transmission end. Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things. But it's pretty obvious. If you still can't find it, have someone start it up, set the E-brake, PUT THIER FOOT ON THE BRAKE, and shift it in and out of neutral/drive/reverse, and look for the moving part.

asalem97
09-17-2002, 08:55 PM
I just went outside with a flashlight and tried to tug on any wires near the tranny and presto, it works now. Thank alot fellas. I was damn near sure it was the tranny until the wires were mentioned. You guys were a great help as usual, thanks again

Kain
09-17-2002, 10:10 PM
We try. But, tomorrow in the daylight, you might want to find out what caused the problem in the first place. You don't wanna be crusing down the road and have the car jerk into Neutral on you or anything like that.