PDA

View Full Version : 18" rims

bradley1997
11-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Are 18" rims okay on our cars? I know that they fit, but I've had some of my local tire shops say that it isn't recomended. Does anyone know why?

Faction
11-28-2003, 12:59 PM
they BS'in you https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

2True
11-28-2003, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't recommend it simply because you'll have basically no tire on 18's. If you wanted to keep the same diameter as stock, would mean that you have have to go with a 30 ratio tire.. yikes! that is a pretty low-pro.. a lot more chances to bend a rim and makes for a rather rough ride.

Not to mention a 30 ratio tire would be expensive as sin.

Stewi
11-28-2003, 01:01 PM
I got 18" Racing Hart C5's for my car and they fit fine. Just gotta makes sure you get the right offset and make sure that once you install them that you get a wheel alignment. I've seen G's with 20's on them and still no probs. Only thing is, you gotta get low profile tires, even then, the overall diameter of the wheel is gonna change, which means your speedometer is gonna be slightly off about 5MPH, but you can always get it re-calibrated. I got 18's with 40 series tires and they are good to go. If you live in an area with alot of potholes, it might be a good idea to get rims that are FORGED not CAST, cast wheels bend easy, trust me, I know first hand.

xpldy
11-28-2003, 01:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got 18" Racing Hart C5's for my car and they fit fine. Just gotta makes sure you get the right offset and make sure that once you install them that you get a wheel alignment. I've seen G's with 20's on them and still no probs. Only thing is, you gotta get low profile tires, even then, the overall diameter of the wheel is gonna change, which means your speedometer is gonna be slightly off about 5MPH, but you can always get it re-calibrated. I got 18's with 40 series tires and they are good to go. If you live in an area with alot of potholes, it might be a good idea to get rims that are FORGED not CAST, cast wheels bend easy, trust me, I know first hand.</div>
i dont think a 7g can fit 20s...thats what ive heard atleast

QnzMostWanted
11-28-2003, 07:52 PM
my 7g had 18 inch rims with 225/40/zr18 tires fit perfectly
had a rubbing problem in the rear but i think that was only my fault, easy fix tho

http://qnzfinest.galants.com/paint/paint14.jpg

BLsGalant97
11-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah my friend had the same problem with his 8g...the wheel shop said that 18s wouldnt fit. He tried to explain that it can...so he walked out. What :retard: ...ive seen 20s on gs...What a way to lose business

brandon
12-01-2003, 09:27 AM
If you don't have a drop you'll be fine... with a drop you'll rub occasionally.

mike969mb
12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey i wanted to drop mines cuz i an't stand the big gap in the front. So if i drop not recommended for 18's, which i had my heart set on? Also anyone just drop the front? my back already looks pretty good considering i got my system back there and it sits lower. I've noticed that when i park next to other galants or my girls friends galant and its lower a little bit.

Thanks,
mike

ScOtTiE_MaK
12-08-2003, 01:33 AM
k so 18s is prob not a good idea if you wanna rock some reg performance tires, live in NY dont wanna go for lo pos...so i guess im doin 17's....does anyone know a good place for wheel tire packages for motegi rims....and will i need a camber kit for 17's???? Please let me kow...im dropped on Progress Springs

Peace

seth98esT
12-08-2003, 03:13 AM
www.speedandstyle.com

12-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Yeah my friend had the same problem with his 8g...the wheel shop said that 18s wouldnt fit. He tried to explain that it can...so he walked out. What :retard: ...ive seen 20s on gs...What a way to lose business
did you ever stop to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE, the wheel shop knew what they were talking about and your friend was just being an "R. Tard?" The shop wouldn't pass up a chance to sell $1400 worth of rims to some stupid kid unless they really wouldn't work. There are so many drivability issues with these big heavy-ass rims. A lot of people think "Oh well it fits in there fine now!" Well, reality check morons. You're going to be driving the car, and your wheels are mounted to a driveaxle that is mounted to a suspension system (kind of, lol, you know what i mean), which allows your wheels to travel a bit. You'd be smoking your tires against your wheel well in a lot of situations. Just because they fit, stock, while sitting still doesn't mean they fit well.

akiraflux
12-08-2003, 11:46 AM
did you ever stop to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE, the wheel shop knew what they were talking about and your friend was just being an "R. Tard?" The shop wouldn't pass up a chance to sell $1400 worth of rims to some stupid kid unless they really wouldn't work. There are so many drivability issues with these big heavy-ass rims. A lot of people think "Oh well it fits in there fine now!" Well, reality check morons. You're going to be driving the car, and your wheels are mounted to a driveaxle that is mounted to a suspension system (kind of, lol, you know what i mean), which allows your wheels to travel a bit. You'd be smoking your tires against your wheel well in a lot of situations. Just because they fit, stock, while sitting still doesn't mean they fit well.

they were trying to protect themselves. i had a rep from tirerack call me to tell me they would uphold my warrenty on my 17x8's but they would not allow me to trade em back in cuz factory recommendations is no wider than 7.5 on a galant. i told him i knew what i was doin and he said aight. the wheel guy mentioned above probably only knew factory recommendations and was a newb. or the computer told him recommendations n stuff. either way it's not 18's by itself that would rub...it's the offset. so yah...maybe his friend didn't know the offset and the wheel place didn't explain itself properly. either way...don't act all high n mighty and spout off bout retards since nobody knows the full story.

mike969mb
12-21-2003, 07:54 PM
What is the recommended offset for 18 inch wheels on an 8g? 38mm+? or something else? Lug pattern is 114.3*5 correct? Is there anything else i could check before i get rims? Don't want it to be like my last car where i had some rubbing when i hit dips.

Also like i know tirerack wouldn't sell tires that wouldn't meet recommendations but tires.com or discounttires will sell you tires above specs or recommended values without any problems? Why is that?

Not buying from either.

Thanks,
mike