PDA

View Full Version : 1 more question on CF hood

TITAN
12-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if the people who have had their hoods for at least 6mos, could let me know if they put one of those heat deflectors/protectors that are on OEM hoods onto their new Carbon Fiber hoods, be they Evo style or OEM. Now, as you may all know, I respect and take into consideration all opinions. But right now I need people to respond that actually HAVE the hood and NOT just HEARSAY. Like, “my friend did it and it was ok.” I want to hear, “I didn’t/did, and it has been ok for 6 mos, year.” Etc.

Thank you everybody for your input.

ChromeGalant
12-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Hmm well I have a CF EVO... no I didnt use the heatshield.. it would cover up the cool EVO vents. It would probably work better with the OEM CF hood..It has been on for about 3-4 months.. I had my Fiberglass Racing hood on with no heatshield for like 7 months..

bam462
12-02-2003, 12:18 AM
i have not had mine for 6 months but for the 2 that i have i can tell you that the hood never gets hot NEVER. i drove 6 hours staight in 70 degree weather and the hood seemed to still be damn near air temp. it dont hold heat like sheet metal. i do have that heat mat under my center vents(only to stop rain and water from its weekly wash) but thats under the grill mesh and is only the size of the vents. i bought my hood used so its been well tested. the only thing you should be worried about is not having HOODPINS!!!!! get them nuff said

Fishboy55
12-02-2003, 06:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have not had mine for 6 months but for the 2 that i have i can tell you that the hood never gets hot NEVER. i drove 6 hours staight in 70 degree weather and the hood seemed to still be damn near air temp. it dont hold heat like sheet metal. i do have that heat mat under my center vents(only to stop rain and water from its weekly wash) but thats under the grill mesh and is only the size of the vents. i bought my hood used so its been well tested. the only thing you should be worried about is not having HOODPINS!!!!! get them nuff said</div>
I've got exactly the same experience. I have the heat mat under the large vents on the EVO hood, but like BAM said, the hood never gets hot. I drove all the way to Atlanta and back averaging about 90MPH with no problems.

TITAN
12-02-2003, 08:13 AM
killer.

thanks guys. i will now do everything in my power to put my hood on A.S.A.P.

8ggalant
12-02-2003, 11:55 AM
i have the vis oem cf hood...no heat problems...at all...no melting no warping....the lighter hood actually helps dissapate heat better thatn the stock hood....so u shouldnt need it...oh iv had mine for 6 or 7 months

pinoyesv6
12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
i don't have a cf hood but taht hood liner you are talking about on the oem hoods also serves another purpose besides reflecting heat. when there is a fire in the engine bay, that liner will drop down and try to smother the fire, and hopefully put it out.

2k2mitsu
12-02-2003, 06:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have not had mine for 6 months but for the 2 that i have i can tell you that the hood never gets hot NEVER. i drove 6 hours staight in 70 degree weather and the hood seemed to still be damn near air temp. it dont hold heat like sheet metal. i do have that heat mat under my center vents(only to stop rain and water from its weekly wash) but thats under the grill mesh and is only the size of the vents. i bought my hood used so its been well tested. the only thing you should be worried about is not having HOODPINS!!!!! get them nuff said</div>
how well does the hood stay on with pins at like 80 miles an hr? because i got many long trips ahead

QnzMostWanted
12-02-2003, 07:32 PM
pins help alot

8ggalant
12-03-2003, 05:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k2mitsu)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have not had mine for 6 months but for the 2 that i have i can tell you that the hood never gets hot NEVER. i drove 6 hours staight in 70 degree weather and the hood seemed to still be damn near air temp. it dont hold heat like sheet metal. i do have that heat mat under my center vents(only to stop rain and water from its weekly wash) but thats under the grill mesh and is only the size of the vents. i bought my hood used so its been well tested. the only thing you should be worried about is not having HOODPINS!!!!! get them nuff said</div>
how well does the hood stay on with pins at like 80 miles an hr? because i got many long trips ahead</div>

if the hoodpins are on right yer not gona be able to get that hood off without releasin em...i mean a few members have wrecked the front end of therr galants and the hood stayed pinned down....i drive about 70-80mph daily (gotta heavy foot :roll: ) and my hood stays down just fine....no pins plus 30mph = hood into windshield....and yes...it was latched :oops: :cry: ...which fuckin sucks cuz i hate how the hoodpins look...thats why i got a OEM hood so it look OEM...but oh well...trust me...buy the hood pins