PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt (yes...again)

Satan
12-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Gonna follow the steps in the factory service manual to replace the belt on my 2000 ES (4cyl). Thing is, the parts store shows one belt ($14.99)and the service manual shows a second belt (timing belt https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif.

Anyone have any more info on this second belt and if I need to mess with it at all?

I plan to take pics along the way and eventually make a tech-tip for replacing the timing belt....

pinoyesv6
12-04-2003, 12:14 PM
u sure thats the timing belt thats 14.99? it sounds like its that belt that drives your accesories. like ur ac and alternator. your timing belt should cost more than that. just for the parts alone. and yea, i'd make sure you understand what exactly what youre doing because from what i hear, its a job that you can mess up easily and result in lots of damage. somehting i'd leave to a pro. that way, if something fucks up, you have sum1 to point the finger at

Los
12-04-2003, 01:21 PM
A timing belt for 14.99.... sound funny to me,...the timing belt is not something you wanna mess with, you can bend valves damage pistons and could result in you having to rebuild the engine,trust me I know,....... leave that to a pro like a Allan said.

Satan
12-04-2003, 02:29 PM
I know you guys are a bit intimidated by it, but I have done quite a few of these on different cars and while there sometimes are a few differences (depending on make/model, etc), for the most part it is something that can be accomplished in an afternoon (with enough knowledge and tools).

Don't be so suprised about the price of timing belts.... unless you're buying them from the dealer, they can range from $9.99 to $200 depending on the engine, etc. My Supra's is only $26.99. I am sure that if I looked hard enough, I could pay a little more for another one from a different manufacturer. But... OEM replacement means just that.....

I agree:
Yes, this will cost you more, if you have to pay someone else to do the work, or if you mess it up bad enough.

If I do fail, I will certainly post the story and the pitfalls, for others to learn from. However, so far on this forum, I have not seen a single person even try it, just because they heard it was best left to the dealer. All of the previous discussions say the same thing and everyone accepts it. Again, if I mess it up, that is certainly what I will be doing and paying for it... I am prepared to accept the benefits or consequences either way. It's not just about the $$ (I can afford it), but I also feel confident enough about my skills.

Either way, you don't know unless you try....

Faction
12-04-2003, 04:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know you guys are a bit intimidated by it, but I have done quite a few of these on different cars and while there sometimes are a few differences (depending on make/model, etc), for the most part it is something that can be accomplished in an afternoon (with enough knowledge and tools).

Don't be so suprised about the price of timing belts.... unless you're buying them from the dealer, Â*they can range from $9.99 to $200 depending on the engine, etc. Â* My Supra's is only $26.99. Â*I am sure that if I looked hard enough, I could pay a little more for another one from a different manufacturer. Â*But... OEM replacement means just that.....

I agree:
Yes, this will cost you more, if you have to pay someone else to do the work, or if you mess it up bad enough.

If I do fail, I will certainly post the story and the pitfalls, for others to learn from. Â*However, so far on this forum, I have not seen a single person even try it, just because they heard it was best left to the dealer. Â*All of the previous discussions say the same thing and everyone accepts it. Â*Again, if I mess it up, that is certainly what I will be doing and paying for it... Â*I am prepared to accept the benefits or consequences either way. Â*It's not just about the $$ (I can afford it), but I also feel confident enough about my skills.

Either way, you don't know unless you try....</div>

i'm on your side, if you've done timing belt changes before guaranteed you can do it on anycar. some people just think its hard to do because it looks complicated, whats harder to fix, a airplane of car? you choose

pinoyesv6
12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
ok...change it if u want. but like i said before. read the service manual really really good and understand what you're getting your hands into before starting.

here's a picture
http://www.partsvoice.com/ipc/images/70h/0...01/70h01630.tif ('http://www.partsvoice.com/ipc/images/70h/01/70h01630.tif')
#24 is your timing belt. the main one.
#35 is your other timing belt. sometimes called the balance shaft belt.

thas right. your car has 2 timing belts. the first timing belt #24 drives cam, the oil pump and one of the balance shafts. the other timing belt #35 drives the other balance shaft

do you need to change both belts. yeah.

and while you're down there. you might also want to change the water pump. its cheaper to do that now than it is when sumthing goes bad.

manybrews
12-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Ive always recommended leaving that job to pros..
why? because even the independant garages screw them up! (a LOT of them). much less people that dont work on cars for a living.

you cant believe how many t-belts (and valve jobs) ive had to do over the years because of a mistake made by people on these cars.
the timing belt setup is more complicated than most cars by a long shot... the dual counter-rotating balance shafts (one being geared 2 to 1 and driven off the oil pump), the hydraulic tensioner, and the fact that they are interference engines is prohibitive to a backyard mechanic trying to fix it.

can it be done? certainly.. its not brain surgery. but its not like changing a flat, either.
if youre gonna do it, just be very careful.

clone2020
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
The $5 piece of rubber cost me $75 from the dealer. I also bought the auto tensioner. My uncle is a certified nissan mechanic and he had no problem replacing my timing belt, water pump, and auto tensioner.

My thoughts on replacing your timing belt...
-If you've never done it before, don't do it yourself.
-Don't have billy bob from "Billy Bob's truck repair" do it either.
-If you've replaced numerous timing belts on other imports, it's probably ok to do it yourself. (Have the Service Manual handy for specs)
-If you screw up, it's all on you.

-Mike.

01-07-2004, 06:15 PM
If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Simple as that.

If you're going to do it, do it with someone who knows what they're doing. I would highly reccomend doing it yourself-kinda. Have someone talk you through it and be available (i.e. be THERE) for help. That way, you can change it by yourself next time.

ChikagoGTZ
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
No sheit Scootin is back! Long time no see....hey Pinoy, on the V-6 do you have to pull the engine to get at the Timing belt? Otherwise that looks like a bitch to work on with the engine in the car...

luxcrusr2000
01-16-2004, 10:27 PM
He's right, the timing belt costs around $15. The thing is, I've seen longer belts on scooters! The other 2 drive belts will cost $10-15 each.

I'm leaving the work in the hands of a pro, though. He's a tech at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership but has more ASE certifications than most mechanics I've been to. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

bronxbombr
01-18-2004, 12:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luxcrusr2000)</div><div class='quotemain'>He's right, the timing belt costs around $15. The thing is, I've seen longer belts on scooters! The other 2 drive belts will cost $10-15 each. Â*

I'm leaving the work in the hands of a pro, though. He's a tech at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership but has more ASE certifications than most mechanics I've been to. Â*:D</div>

Out here in NY the autoparts store sell the timing belt for up to 60 bux. I know cuz i work in a parts store. If you can get one for less than that then you are good. Also if you gonna do the timing yourself make sure all your timing marks line up correctly or you will be looking for a new engine on your first start, and change both the belts, the timing and the oil pump belt are down there close together.

Again i cannot stress how important those timing marks are, make sure they line up or you will go bust.

luxcrusr2000
01-19-2004, 06:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luxcrusr2000)</div><div class='quotemain'>He's right, the timing belt costs around $15. The thing is, I've seen longer belts on scooters! The other 2 drive belts will cost $10-15 each. Â*

I'm leaving the work in the hands of a pro, though. He's a tech at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership but has more ASE certifications than most mechanics I've been to. Â*:D</div>

Correction, the I4 DOES have two timing belts. I bought one of them at AutoZone for $15 but the other one costs $45. :shock: