PDA

View Full Version : Painting the headers

LantBoy99
09-18-2002, 12:32 PM
I just went out and baught my head gasket today to take my headers off and paint them. Right now they are all rusty and nasty lookin. Any suggestions on how to paint them? What kind of sand paper should I use to sand all that rust off? What kind of paint should I get? How many degrees? How many coats? Should I clear coat it also? If so, how many coats should I use for clear coat? Will the paint last on there? Should I clean out the inside of my headers? If so, then with what? I think thats all the questions I have as for now. Feel free to give me any tips. Thank a lot u all are the best....

Fishboy55
09-18-2002, 02:26 PM
Just wait for the RPW headers and have them powder coated Dru... J/K.

I'd use a wire brush to get off the majority of rust. Then use a fine grit sandpaper to remove the rest. Emory cloth will actually work the best and hold up better than sandpaper. You need to use the highest temperature paint you can, like 1500 degrees. I don't think they make high temp clear, if they do, I've never seen it. I used two coats on my headers and so far it's held up pretty well. Check with Polo. I think she was the one that painted her stock headers and they looked great. You could clean the inside of the headers if you want, but I wouldn't paint them. Anything you put in there is gonna burn off almost immediately.

Chip