PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel swap

Juventas
12-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Im working on the interior of my car and I would like to replace the stcok steering wheel with the airbag to a Momo racing wheel. Now has anybody done this and how hard would it be to swap. Besides the safety issue would it pass inspection?

Fishboy55
12-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Not unless you're talking about the MOMO with the airbag. Removal of the airbags carries a stiff penalty, and it would never pass an inspection.

pinoyesv6
12-05-2003, 04:47 PM
chris from GDI put a momo steering wheel in his galant way back in the day when he had a galant. he just removed the old steering wheel but on the wheel adaptor and then put on the wheel.

but then he just had a regular momo steering wheel. no airbags.

momo does offer steering wheels that would probably phyisically bolt onto your car. but as of now, nobody has accomplished putting on into their galants it could be tricky. bolting on the the wheel itself is no problem. its the airbag that is the problem. there could be a difference in the airbag system between teh cars. you might plug in the new whweel with the airbag it might just go off...or on the other side of the spectrum in an accident, it won't go off. but who knows it might just work. if you're gonna go this route, i'd dig deeper into how the airbags work and what makes the trigger. them steering wheels with the airbags be expensive and it would be a waste to just put that bad boy in and it blows up in your face when you start the car.

gost2002es
12-06-2003, 06:21 PM
didnt twisted do a swap also?

galantv600
12-06-2003, 08:20 PM
didnt twisted do a swap also?

yeah he did! 8)

HeadAche
12-08-2003, 01:35 PM
yeah he did swap to momo wheel i believe he had it wrapped purple and white.. HE just bought the adapter which is like a 52mm adapter and slapped that puppy on..

TWISTED II
12-08-2003, 01:48 PM
yeah, just buy the hub adapter, i think mine was like 45 bucks or something. then any momo wheel will fit in the car. heres a pic of my old interior with a momo racing wheel.

http://www.joecwilson.com/forum/files/driveropen03.jpg