PDA

View Full Version : Autobody shop with electrician?

Alister_McRae
12-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Do they have them? I'm wondering cause I can do the main wiring myself for my JDM headlights, but to be honest, I'm a retard when it comes to electrical stuff with wires. Will an autobody shop have one, or someone who knows how to wire headlights?

RedGalant2k1
12-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Most should have someone versed in Electronics, and least well enough to install headlights. Most if not all autobody shops require its techicians to be ASE certified, and have other qualifications.

Elwenil
12-07-2003, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't exactly trust the ASE certification. Anyone with a few bucks and general knowledge can take the test and pass it. But then again, anyone who can't pass it, musy be a real idiot, but most of the trustworthy mechanics I know don't bother with it. They let their work speak for them. Just my .02

The 99 Galant
12-07-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah most places have people who can help you with JDM lights or has the tools to help you. The only trouble you'll have doing is translating the wires but i'm sure someone has done them so ask around.

Elwenil
12-07-2003, 04:01 PM
The only trouble you'll have doing is translating the wires but i'm sure someone has done them so ask around.

Umm, so what, do the JDM wires only speak Japanese? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Sorry, I had to do it, and if I didn't, someone else would, lol... :wink:

RedGalant2k1
12-07-2003, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't exactly trust the ASE certification. Anyone with a few bucks and general knowledge can take the test and pass it. But then again, anyone who can't pass it, musy be a real idiot, but most of the trustworthy mechanics I know don't bother with it. They let their work speak for them. Just my .02

However you need several years of previous experience to acquire a ASE Cert.

Elwenil
12-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Nope, only two, and then you can get by with less. ASE says:

Work Experience Requirement

ASE requires that you have two or more years of full-time, hands-on working experience either as an automobile, truck or school bus technician, engine machinist, or in collision repair, refinishing, or damage analysis and estimating for certification, except as noted. If you have not previously provided work experience information, you will receive a Work Experience Report Form with your admission ticket. You must complete and return the form to receive a certificate.

Substitutions for work experience. You may receive credit for up to one year of the two-year work experience requirement by substituting relevant formal training in one, or a combination, of the following:

High School Training: Three full years of training, either in automobile/truck/ school bus repair or in collision repair, refinishing, or damage estimating may be substituted for one year of work experience.

Post-High School Training: Two full years of post-high school training in a public or private trade school, technical institute, community or four-year college, or in an apprenticeship program may be counted as one year of work experience.

Short Courses: For shorter periods of post-high school training, you may substitute two months of training for one month of work experience

Not mention all you have to do is have your employer lie about your work history. The dealer I used to work for thought it would be good to advertise that all his mechanics were certified, so they all got certified. Even though two of them were fresh out of high school with no prior experience and had only been working at the dealership a few months. But to tell you the truth, one of them much a much better mechanic than One of the guys that had been there 5 years. Just my .02

RedGalant2k1
12-07-2003, 05:40 PM

Nope, only two, and then you can get by with less. ASE says:

Work Experience Requirement

ASE requires that you have two or more years of full-time, hands-on working experience either as an automobile, truck or school bus technician, engine machinist, or in collision repair, refinishing, or damage analysis and estimating for certification, except as noted. If you have not previously provided work experience information, you will receive a Work Experience Report Form with your admission ticket. You must complete and return the form to receive a certificate.

Substitutions for work experience. You may receive credit for up to one year of the two-year work experience requirement by substituting relevant formal training in one, or a combination, of the following:

High School Training: Three full years of training, either in automobile/truck/ school bus repair or in collision repair, refinishing, or damage estimating may be substituted for one year of work experience.

Post-High School Training: Two full years of post-high school training in a public or private trade school, technical institute, community or four-year college, or in an apprenticeship program may be counted as one year of work experience.

Short Courses: For shorter periods of post-high school training, you may substitute two months of training for one month of work experience

Not mention all you have to do is have your employer lie about your work history. The dealer I used to work for thought it would be good to advertise that all his mechanics were certified, so they all got certified. Even though two of them were fresh out of high school with no prior experience and had only been working at the dealership a few months. But to tell you the truth, one of them much a much better mechanic than One of the guys that had been there 5 years. Just my .02

Like I said several years. Most people won't blatantly lie to just get the job. I never would. But whatever.