PDA

View Full Version : How to open Altezza taillights?

Kecke
12-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi all!

I´m a member from Sweden and i bught the cf Altezza taillights from procarparts. All together with TAX and shipping it cost me about 250$ to get them. And i really want to put them on my car.

The problem is:
I new that the turnsignal glass is RED and NOT legal in Sweden. :oops:

So my question is:
Is there a way (Without braking them) to take off the glass covering the taillight so that i can take the red glass covering my turnsignals out and put in white or yellow glass, making them legal in Sweden? :?

Please help me if you know how to do this? I would be very glad if I could cruze around the streets of Gothenburg to the spring with my ALtezzas on. :firedevil:

Best regards
/Kecke

Calipso
12-07-2003, 07:13 PM
I doubt you can open it and take out the lens. I wouldn't risk it. But nice galant btw from your pics.

DarkLateNight
12-07-2003, 07:26 PM
i have no clue - sorry - but what the heck might as well try it - ya know - cuz u cant use em like the are whats the good in havin em sit in you room or whatever - i'd try it - just use some STRONG epoxy to get em back together -

The 99 Galant
12-07-2003, 08:46 PM
there usually are some screws on the back of it. Try prying it first to see if you can tell where the backing connects to the cover. Sometimes they are just pressure pinned in there.

BlankMan
12-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Nothing to add for removing the lense - sorry. BUT - where did you get the grill for you Galant and would it fit USDM models (not sure what category your Galant would fall under - JDM or USDM)?

J

ChikagoGTZ
12-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Here is what I think could be done......you could just do some rewiring and add another bulb in amber as the turn signal....This may just require you to drill a hole in the back add a bulb...voila...you could try it...I'm not sure, but I'll look at my lights tomorrow and see if I have any better Ideas.....

The only way to open them would be similar to the way you can open a headlight....heat them up with a heat gun, or in your oven (very low temp) this will loosen the glue and let you pry them open.

I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS...since it would probably never go back together the same.

Good luck.

BXNYMitsu01
12-08-2003, 12:57 AM
I doubt you can open it and take out the lens. I wouldn't risk it. But nice galant btw from your pics.

Hey yeah your Galant looks hot. BTW that's my car there with those Altezzas. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I was like "hey that looks like my car" https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Kecke
12-08-2003, 06:14 AM

Hey yeah your Galant looks hot. BTW that's my car there with those Altezzas. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I was like "hey that looks like my car" https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

:oops: Hope you din´t mind me putting out pictures of your car. But thats just the way i would like mine to look like. Damn nice car you have there. Its when i saw it that i decided to get the Altezzas. :twisted:

Kecke
12-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Here is what I think could be done......you could just do some rewiring and add another bulb in amber as the turn signal....This may just require you to drill a hole in the back add a bulb...voila...you could try it...I'm not sure, but I'll look at my lights tomorrow and see if I have any better Ideas.....

The only way to open them would be similar to the way you can open a headlight....heat them up with a heat gun, or in your oven (very low temp) this will loosen the glue and let you pry them open.

I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS...since it would probably never go back together the same.

Good luck.

Not a bad idea. And then I could use the turnsignal red glass for rear fog lights. Hmm, now the trick is finding somebody handy here in Gothenburg Sweden that can drill a hole and add a house with amber glass for the turnsignals.
/Thanks for the tip
Kecke

Kecke
12-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Nothing to add for removing the lense - sorry. BUT - where did you get the grill for you Galant and would it fit USDM models (not sure what category your Galant would fall under - JDM or USDM)?

J

My Galant is a V6 Sport edition and it comes original with that grill. I bught it in Germany (The car) and then imported it to Sweden. The grill was for sale at my local Mitsu carshop for about 150-175$. Last I was there they had one left and they are not taking in new ones. The thing is that 2003 is the last year Mitsu are selling the Galant in Europe. The Galant model is 2004 only sold in the US and Asia market i think. :evil:
/Kecke

VIO
12-08-2003, 08:18 AM
you can take the clear bulbs out of the reverse lights and add orange bulbs then wire them to be the turn signals. oh, and after you put your new tails in you should send me your old ones. 8) cheers.

Monkey
12-08-2003, 08:31 AM
so keckie... what are you going to do with your disgustingly lame stock tails? Tell ya what... i'll be your buddy and take them off your hands at absolutely no cost to you!

VIO
12-08-2003, 10:23 AM
so keckie... what are you going to do with your disgustingly lame stock tails? Tell ya what... i'll be your buddy and take them off your hands at absolutely no cost to you!

back off monkey boy, thems tails be mine!!! :wink:

Monkey
12-08-2003, 10:26 AM

back off monkey boy, thems tails be mine!!! :wink:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Oops, my bad! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Kecke
12-08-2003, 05:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Monkey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIO)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Monkey)</div><div class='quotemain'>so keckie... what are you going to do with your disgustingly lame stock tails? Â*Tell ya what... i'll be your buddy and take them off your hands at absolutely no cost to you!</div>

back off monkey boy, thems tails be mine!!! :wink:</div>

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Oops, my bad! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</div>

Sorry guys! But every year i´ll be needing them when i do the (dont know the word) goverment check on my car. Becouse the Altezzas arn´t legal anyway and then i have to use the original taillight. :roll:
/Kecke

Kecke
12-08-2003, 05:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIO)</div><div class='quotemain'>you can take the clear bulbs out of the reverse lights and add orange bulbs then wire them to be the turn signals. Â*oh, and after you put your new tails in you should send me your old ones. Â* 8) Â*cheers.</div>

Was thinking about that. But the reverse light HAS to be white in Sweden to be legal. I called the police today and they said it does´nt matter how i try to mod the Altezzas becouse all cars in Sweden after 1998 arnt legal to change from its original design :evil:

So I think I´ll drill out the red glass covering the turnsignals from behind with a presissin drill and put in an orange/yellow light in there. I´m still getting a ticket if they stop me. But that way the rear turnsignals are in the right color and the chanse of getting a ticket from the police is smaller..... I hope :shock:

Thanks for all the answers and feel free to PM me if you hear about anybody that has solved the problem in a better way of making the turnsignals on Altezzas to glow orange/yellow?

Best regards
/Kecke

BXNYMitsu01
12-08-2003, 05:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kecke)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BXNYMitsu01)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Calipso)</div><div class='quotemain'>I doubt you can open it and take out the lens. Â*I wouldn't risk it. Â*But nice galant btw from your pics.</div>

Hey yeah your Galant looks hot. BTW that's my car there with those Altezzas. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I was like "hey that looks like my car" https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>

:oops: Hope you din´t mind me putting out pictures of your car. But thats just the way i would like mine to look like. Damn nice car you have there. Its when i saw it that i decided to get the Altezzas. :twisted:</div>

Nah I don't have a problem with it. Good luck on trying to get Altezzas on your G.

pinoyesv6
12-08-2003, 06:34 PM
here's another idea. kinda complicated but it could work. pretty much what you're gonna do is stick an amber bulb and a white bulb into the reverse light hole. if you can find 2 small bulbs to squeeze in there and then make a custom harness, that might work. hopefully it would be bright enough to see. or if you have more electrical experience, build yourself a custom bulb. its pretty much gonna be like a dual filiment bulb. but instead of dual filiments let it be light 2 smaller bulbs put into one or 2 led's. one white and one amber. and yea, redo the wirign harness and shove that into the hole.

just shootign out ideas. i think it would be safer to chop up the harness than it would be to smash open the tails and get cutting to it

Kecke
12-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanx BXNYMitsu01!

Sorry pinoyesv6. I cant really understand what you are saying/explaining with my bad english? But iI think i will either presission drill out the red turnsignal glass from behind and put in an amber light. Or maybe sell them to somebody here in Sweden. Hmm, or maybe i´ll find out how to take the red turnsignal glass out without damging the original design to much.

Dont understand why the manufactor of these lights dosnt make them with white glass over the turnsignals? I´n that way they would sell a lot more of them. Becouse then people from the Europen market would by a lot more of them?

Thanx for all answers!
/Kecke

Alexey
12-09-2003, 03:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kecke)</div><div class='quotemain'>I called the police today and they said it does´nt matter how i try to mod the Altezzas becouse all cars in Sweden after 1998 arnt legal to change from its original design Â*:evil: Â*

/Kecke</div>

Damn, that sucks, having access to the hottest Galants and not being able to mod them ? I say f*ck it and move to the states where you can do a whole lot more to your car. Legally. :wink:

DarkLateNight
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
lol - i say send me a ride from over there so I can mod it legally https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Calipso
12-16-2003, 02:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kecke)</div><div class='quotemain'>I called the police today and they said it does´nt matter how i try to mod the Altezzas becouse all cars in Sweden after 1998 arnt legal to change from its original design Â*:evil: Â*

/Kecke</div>

Damn, that sucks, having access to the hottest Galants and not being able to mod them ? I say f*ck it and move to the states where you can do a whole lot more to your car. Legally. :wink:</div>

That is ultra gay. I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that is.

Alexey
12-16-2003, 11:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Calipso)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kecke)</div><div class='quotemain'>I called the police today and they said it does´nt matter how i try to mod the Altezzas becouse all cars in Sweden after 1998 arnt legal to change from its original design Â*:evil: Â*

/Kecke</div>

Damn, that sucks, having access to the hottest Galants and not being able to mod them ? I say f*ck it and move to the states where you can do a whole lot more to your car. Legally. :wink:</div>

That is ultra gay. I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that is.</div>

I say YOU are ultra gay. The reasoning behind that is simple: commenting on this guy's inability to cutomize his galant due to legal limitations. If you don't understant that, ask Santa for some brains this Christmas.

Calipso
12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Calipso)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kecke)</div><div class='quotemain'>I called the police today and they said it does´nt matter how i try to mod the Altezzas becouse all cars in Sweden after 1998 arnt legal to change from its original design Â*:evil: Â*

/Kecke</div>

That is ultra gay. I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that is.</div>

I say YOU are ultra gay. The reasoning behind that is simple: commenting on this guy's inability to cutomize his galant due to legal limitations. If you don't understant that, ask Santa for some brains this Christmas.</div>

RETARD! Wow what a nub. I said it's ultra gay because Sweden won't let you mod cars after 1998. Why don't you learn to read, now you can crawl back under that rock you came from troll.

pinoyesv6
12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/0e/33/29_1.JPG

for those who don't get it...TOPIC CLOSED things are getting out of hand and of subject