PDA

View Full Version : questions about dropping only the front springs

cremeofthecrop
12-07-2003, 11:12 PM
anyone ever dropped only the front as the rear has a decent look but the front has a big gap and i would like to drop only the front...think it will drive ok or funny?...advice needed..thanx

BlankMan
12-08-2003, 12:11 AM
When I installed my TEIN, I did it in halves - since time didn't allow me to do it all at once - so I had the front dropped for almost 2 full weeks before I installed the rear springs. In my opinion, it looked ok - the gap between front and rear was about the same - but at the same time it looked funny b/c there was a definite and noticeable slant from rear to front - not becoming for an import. Also - the ride quality wasn't as good as with lowered corners all around since the back tended to have more travel over larger dips and bumps it gave the car a sense of unpredictability for tight handling situations.

J

cremeofthecrop
12-08-2003, 12:19 PM
so in your advice i defnitely need to drop all four? i just dont want to drop the front and back as the back is low and any more drop i think mught cause it to rub on the fender well with the tire unless the rear is hollowed out

pinoyesv6
12-08-2003, 01:40 PM
yea, drop all four corners. the springs were made to work as a set, not just in pairs.

BlankMan
12-08-2003, 03:09 PM
yup

cremeofthecrop
12-08-2003, 04:49 PM
but wont the back rub as it will be even lower than it already is?

pinoyesv6
12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremeofthecrop)</div><div class='quotemain'>but wont the back rub as it will be even lower than it already is?</div>

not if you pick the right wheel/tire combination and don't drop it too low.

Kalamidad
12-08-2003, 07:18 PM
i've seen the front springs be cut on an 8g. Looks good. The guy told he he's had no problems with it. he's been dropped like that for over a year now.

playa759
12-08-2003, 09:36 PM
I have progress springs on my front only...I havent experienced any uneven tire wear nor any handling difficulties. I had all 4 springs for about an hour and decided I didnt like the look (partially because of the weight of audio in trunk).....My wheels are 18" with +44 offset, tires are 225/40/18....If I didnt have the weight in the trunk maybe I would have kept all 4....As with anything else its all about what you want

mjc1055
12-08-2003, 09:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>i've seen the front springs be cut on an 8g. Â*Looks good. Â*The guy told he he's had no problems with it. Â*he's been dropped like that for over a year now.</div>

gah! no cutting springs! thats pretty ghetto, i think... just drop them with actual lowering springs, you're asking for serious trouble if you cut them.

cremeofthecrop
12-09-2003, 12:14 AM
i think ill just drop the front with progress springs and ajust the camber as i too have a box in the trunk which already weighs the back down and hopefully like you i wont experience any uneven driving

peanotation
12-09-2003, 12:33 AM
yeah, if you go for that slanted jacked look where the back is higher than the front, it looks cool on old muscle cars, but for imports its bleh. my mom's cuda from the 70s had that look and that rear end swings out more than a chick's ass in a rapper's video

cremeofthecrop
12-09-2003, 10:58 AM
no, i just want the front dropped a couple of inches to look closer like the back as the back is nice but the front is kinda high, that swhy i want to drop only the front 2 inches

ChromeGalant
12-12-2003, 07:55 AM
I had my front dropped with Progress for almost 7 months.. no problems, like Playa I had my speakerbox,amps.. etc in there too. Then I went to GC Coilovers and rolled with only the fronts installed for like another 7 months.. no problems
Car looked more agressive with just the front dropped. I just recently (like 2 months ago) installed the rear coilovers..

TheRealDeal
12-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Lets see some pics Chrome. And yeah I wouldn't cut springs and or just drop the front, like pinoy said, its all works as a set

ChromeGalant
12-12-2003, 12:25 PM
http://www.gatgc.net/memberpages/chromeg/e...erior/index.htm ('http://www.gatgc.net/memberpages/chromeg/exterior/index.htm')

Everything in this link is Progress or Coilover fronts installed.. the ones with the kit are coilover fronts and raised up..
my favorite.. Progress drop in the front..(Remember the tires are 35)

http://www.gatgc.net/memberpages/chromeg/exterior/images/Red%20G%20section_JPG.jpg