PDA

View Full Version : Motor Swap

anreynol
12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Since Mitsu and Dodge got together to make these cars, would a small Dodge motor (from a Sprint, Charger, Colt, etc.) from the same time period work in a Galant? Would the tranny bolt up, etc? A 2.2 L supercharged Sprint R/T motor sure would be better than my wheezy SOHC...

marktheblake
12-09-2003, 01:10 AM
dunno about that but sounds unlikely. The better alternative is to consider the EVO3 engine, but you will most likely need the gearbox as well. what the heck, get yourself the entire front cut, and you will have everything you need.

Proud Galant Driver
12-09-2003, 09:14 AM
4g63t is the way to go. are fwd or awd?

DMS GSR
03-17-2004, 12:49 AM
The FWD 5spd box bolts straight up to the EVO engine with no probs

dsmracer
07-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Since Mitsu and Dodge got together to make these cars, would a small Dodge motor (from a Sprint, Charger, Colt, etc.) from the same time period work in a Galant? Would the tranny bolt up, etc? A 2.2 L supercharged Sprint R/T motor sure would be better than my wheezy SOHC...

Dodge actually had nothing to do with the making of these Galants. Nothing from their cars will fit. Your best bet is to swap in a 4G63 turbo. The Evo motors will not fit.

marktheblake
08-02-2004, 07:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The Evo motors will not fit.</div>

What? everyone says that up to EVO3 will fit. (because beyond that the engine is rotated the other way around)

bluedraco
08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
up to evo 3 WILL fit...i've seen it...after that, it isn't so easy https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

dsmracer
08-08-2004, 12:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>up to evo 3 WILL fit...i've seen it...after that, it isn't so easy https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

More than likely you saw wrong, or it just had an Evo valve cover on (which will fit). The Evo 1-3 motor is near identical to the 2G DSM in nearly all dimensions and internals, four mounts and all. It won't fit without alot of blood, sweat and tears. You're better off just sticking to a 1G or GVR-4 motor.

bluedraco
08-13-2004, 09:15 PM
nope, i didn't see wrong...in fact, there is a guy on this board and IN THIS THREAD that has done a swap in a 6G galant to an evo III i believe...DMS GSR is his username https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

dsmracer
08-14-2004, 04:08 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. It's not a practical swap what so ever compared to just dropping in a normal GVR-4 or 1G motor. That's why you'll never find a 1G DSM sporting a 2G motor. It is possible that it's a Galant VR-4 Evo RS.

DMS GSR
09-29-2004, 12:12 AM
mine is a 6g gsr fwd hatch, i swaped mine 2 evo, i found out 4 sure my engine is outa an evo 2 with an evo 3 turbo

bluedraco
09-29-2004, 01:13 AM
mine is a 6g gsr fwd hatch, i swaped mine 2 evo, i found out 4 sure my engine is outa an evo 2 with an evo 3 turbo

looks good too! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

DMS GSR
10-01-2004, 10:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>looks good too!</div>

Thanks m8, i got it back from da dyno, they droped da boost to 12lbs and gave it a basic map for now tuned to only make power to 5000rpm cause we dunno wot condition da motor is in, i got 176kw @ da front wheels, but more to come just w8n for my inlet n exhaust manifolds 2 come from japan then off 2 da dyno agn for a full power tune @ 20psi, brakes n suspension r on da way 2, but they ca w8 for now, i can get my hands on a set of evo7 brembo's but have 2 convert 2 5 stud hubs, and as we speak a m8 is designing a widebody kit, once his concept is drawn il post it, and 1 day hopefully a 4wd conversion, just gotta w8nc, sad thing is this car will most likely neva c da road agn legaly https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

orangbaligila
10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DMS GSR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>looks good too!</div>

Thanks m8, i got it back from da dyno, they droped da boost to 12lbs and gave it a basic map for now tuned to only make power to 5000rpm cause we dunno wot condition da motor is in, i got 176kw @ da front wheels, but more to come just w8n for my inlet n exhaust manifolds 2 come from japan then off 2 da dyno agn for a full power tune @ 20psi, brakes n suspension r on da way 2, but they ca w8 for now, i can get my hands on a set of evo7 brembo's but have 2 convert 2 5 stud hubs, and as we speak a m8 is designing a widebody kit, once his concept is drawn il post it, and 1 day hopefully a 4wd conversion, just gotta w8nc, sad thing is this car will most likely neva c da road agn legaly https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif</div>

hi there,... i see you got a converted GSR there...
got any fan clearance issue? my 2nd fan is sitting so close to the turbine and looks like it'll melt soon

how's yours? btw,.. if you're planning to use the stock air filter manifold,.. remove the batt to the trunk,.. it'll look a lot neater https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif jsut a suggestion tho,.. since I'm doing it right now

bluedraco
10-03-2004, 12:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DMS GSR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>looks good too!</div>

Thanks m8, i got it back from da dyno, they droped da boost to 12lbs and gave it a basic map for now tuned to only make power to 5000rpm cause we dunno wot condition da motor is in, i got 176kw @ da front wheels, but more to come just w8n for my inlet n exhaust manifolds 2 come from japan then off 2 da dyno agn for a full power tune @ 20psi, brakes n suspension r on da way 2, but they ca w8 for now, i can get my hands on a set of evo7 brembo's but have 2 convert 2 5 stud hubs, and as we speak a m8 is designing a widebody kit, once his concept is drawn il post it, and 1 day hopefully a 4wd conversion, just gotta w8nc, sad thing is this car will most likely neva c da road agn legaly https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif</div>

out of interest, did your GSR come from factory with the electronic airbag suspension? if so, how did you lower it?

DMS GSR
10-04-2004, 11:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>got any fan clearance issue? my 2nd fan is sitting so close to the turbine and looks like it'll melt soon Â*

how's yours? btw,.. if you're planning to use the stock air filter manifold,.. remove the batt to the trunk,.. it'll look a lot neater Â*jsut a suggestion tho,.. since I'm doing it right now</div>

2 b honest im not sure, il have a good look at it 2moro n let u no, it all seemed 2 fit ok when i put it 2getha, but da car is never driven onroad so il end up removing da 2nd fan when i remove my aircon, i wana put da batt in da boot just 2 lazy n havnt got round 2 it yet, im getin a trust stainles hi mount exhaust manifold just w8n 4 it 2 come in, n a greddy inlet manifold but havnt decided if a quad throttle body or single throttle body setup would be beta, whats ur oppinion? btw hows urs goin? luv ur kit, how did u offset ur wheels?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>out of interest, did your GSR come from factory with the electronic airbag suspension? if so, how did you lower it?</div>

mine did come out with the ECS sys, but da compressor shit itself n a few of the hoses cracked, the whole sys had 2 b removed from da engine bay neways 2 run all da cooler piping, i am still using the airbag struts 4 now, it looks good dat low but its a real bone jarring ride, getin a new setup on da suspension, just gota decide wot i want.
There is a way 2 lower the ECS, under the car u have resistor pots with an arm (which stay parallel 2 the road for the normal ride height)atatched 2 ur control arms by rods (mine has 3) urs mite have 4 cause of ur IRS im not sure, il c if i can get under my car 2 take sum pics 2 show u wot i mean, if u shorten those rods the arm on the pot will point 2wards the road n trick the ECS computer into thinking the car is 2 hi, thinking that it will lower the cars ride height till the arm on the pot is paralell with the road agn, itl all work as long as ur ECS is workin properly, but like i said ill take photos n xpain properly

bluedraco
10-07-2004, 04:18 AM
thanks for the offer mate, but don't bother doing that for me...i was just curious as my car did come with ECS but the previous owner did a fulcrum strut/spring conversion as the ECS stuffed up (common problem)...basically i tried to find lowered springs for the converted struts but NOBODY had them, not even fulcrum themself...from my research it seemed that they would bottom out way too easily so i didn't even bother getting custom springs made up (for that reason)...

i was just curious how you did it, that's all! but that sounds like a pretty cool way of doing it! pity i can't!

anyway, i'm hoping to get rid of this car sometime soon...i've had it too long and i'm missing having a lighter and much more powerful car (had an accident in my previous turboed car)! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

orangbaligila
10-07-2004, 08:39 AM
2 b honest im not sure, il have a good look at it 2moro n let u no, it all seemed 2 fit ok when i put it 2getha, but da car is never driven onroad so il end up removing da 2nd fan when i remove my aircon, i wana put da batt in da boot just 2 lazy n havnt got round 2 it yet, im getin a trust stainles hi mount exhaust manifold just w8n 4 it 2 come in, n a greddy inlet manifold but havnt decided if a quad throttle body or single throttle body setup would be beta, whats ur oppinion? btw hows urs goin? luv ur kit, how did u offset ur wheels?

mine is doing fine,.. will move the 2nd fan to the front

what application are you planning to use the car for? I think quad throttle better for road-course,... single thr, for rally-ing,...

wheels were 20 in offset and was mounted with a 20 mm spacer... spacer removed now with the new slim body